The outfit consists of a full underskirt, a petticoat, and a fully-lined overdress. I made a muslin of the bodice and was pleased to see that it looked like it would fit without alteration. If I had bothered to line the muslin (that's not a step I normally do), I would have noticed that the extra thickness means the edges just barely meet in back. It's too late to cut the back pieces wider, but I think I can make it work with hooks and eyes. Laces would be better, or even just an extension panel to allow snaps. The dress isn't finished so I still have time to think about it.
|Finished underskirt with unfinished bodice|
|The pattern, unfinished overskirt, and some trims|
Embellishing the gown was fun. I used a variety of materials: lace, trim, beads, ribbon, and silk flowers. I took the silk flowers apart, discarded all the plastic bits and then joined the flowers to beads to hold them onto the skirt. The underskirt and the skirt part of the overdress are done. I still want to add a few flowers to the bodice and the sleeves. I also need to join the bodice to its skirt, fix the lining, and sew the petticoat, and then I'll be done. That means a photo of the completed gown will have to wait until next week.
|Notions for trimming overskirt|