Sunday, August 6, 2017

Three More New Outfits: I'm on a Roll

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to turn out three more outfits this week: one dress and two skirt-and-top combinations. My impetus was the expected shipping of Raccoon Rosie, because I wanted her to have something new and uniquely hers upon arrival. So, even though I was itching to start a skirt and top for FID Grace, I started with a dress for Rosie.

I chose a tried-and-true pattern: Dressing Up, from Designs by Jude (for 17-inch Hermione and Nancy). I've made the dress before for Raccoon girls, as well as the skirt-and-top option for Creature Doll. Much as I hate to keep recycling the same look, the dearth of suitably sized patterns at least inspires creativity. This time I omitted the sleeves from the dress. I also made it in color block instead of the same color throughout. Both fabrics--an orange print and a yellow eyelet--came from my stash. Raccoon Monica served as my fit model.
I love how it came out, and the colors work well with Monica's sweet mocha resin. Of course, the longer I looked at it the more I wondered if the color combination would work equally well with Rosie's new milk mocha resin, which is supposed to be pinker in tone. On the off chance that it might not work and because Monica informed me that she intended to keep the dress, I looked for another quick project. (I mean, just look at those eyes. Would you dare cross her?) I chose Designs by Jude's Urban Beat, a skirt, jacket and long sleeve top pattern that I have previously used for both Raccoon girls and Judith girls. I made the skirt and top in colors that should work better with pinker skin tones. No jacket this time. More photos when Rosie can try it on. Fingers crossed that she'll like it. If not, it's back to the sewing table.
After all that rush, here we are a week later and Rosie is still queued for shipment. Hmm, how long is this queue?

Mid-week I finally got the chance to start Grace's new outfit. She has been dressed as Claire from the Outlander series pretty much since the day she arrived. That worked well in cooler weather, but it's now August and just looking at the heavy cowl and gloves made me itch. Recently I purchased two patterns from Designs by Jude fitted to FID ladies: a two-piece casual outfit called Clam Bake and a long gown called Star Gazer. I'm sewing Star Gazer for FID Raffine, who is on order. Not waiting for a shipping notice this time, I started sewing it yesterday. Gonna be gorgeous! But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had been thinking for some time of making a bohemian/hippie style outfit for FID, inspired partly by a Doll Heart outfit I purchased for my FeePle Moe60 girls and partly by the hippie style outfits produced recently by Iplehouse. Until now, the only thing stopping me was wondering how to construct the three-tiered skirt. Making Rosie's skirt this week provided my Eureka! moment. So, with the halter top from Clam Bake, an extra tier added to the skirt from Urban Beat, and a variety of prints in shades of gray and near gray from my bottomless stash, I came up with a vintage bohemian look for Grace.
Her wild and crazy hair is a new wig from Iplehouse. Believe it or not, it spent a full day soaking in water and fabric softener--which didn't help in the least. In the end I figured I'd let her embrace it as part of her look. Also, after taking these photos I added another snap set to keep the top from gapping so much in front. Despite an entire page of photos, the halter pattern was somewhat hard to follow. There was one bit I didn't understand at all, so I'm not sure the fit is exactly as it's meant to be. If I make it again (to go with the clam digger pants in the pattern) I'll try putting it together slightly differently and see if that makes it fit better.
Both girls are wearing new eyes from Safrin Doll. Monica's are a color called Juicy Pear Bold; Grace's are called Tiger Lily Natural. The colors are rather intense, even the so-called natural ones. I did get a pair in Autumn Natural for a larger doll that look normal by comparison. I need to take photos. Monica is also wearing a new wig: Wendy from Monique Gold. The part should be on the side, but either way I like it.

9 comments:

  1. You really are on a roll! The outfits are amazing. I love your photography too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Nice to see you here again. It's a good thing I started work on Raffine's gown, because I got a shipping notice this morning. Nothing yet on Rosie, however.

      Delete
  2. I had missed your sewing posts while I was away hiding from the hobby haha, it's good to see them again :D great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fantasywoods! Thanks and welcome back. You should know there's no hiding from BJDs. Once they've got you, they've got you.:D

      Delete
  3. You've been really busy, and your girls are glad to have such a talented mum. I like the cut. And I like Rosie's wild hair. It makes her look daring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, Rosie finally shipped today. She'll get the skirt and top in the middle of the post. The wild red hair belongs to FID Grace. :D

      Delete
    2. Ooops. So sorry. But all the more reason to congratulate on Rosie's arrival.

      Delete
  4. I honestly admire your sewing speed! And the fabrics you pick are always amazingly great!!

    The vintage bohemiam with the stripped skirt is my fave outfit. It looks great on her, and the fabrics fit together really good! Maybe you can do a headpiece in order to "tame" her wild hair?

    Also, those new eyes are amazing! They really shine up on the photos :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Grace is my free spirit so she is enjoying the bohemian outfit (and the hair). The skirt combines some of my favorite fabrics.

      I'm still not sure how I feel about those eyes. They're really sort of scary. The best looking are a pair of purple eyes that I put in Raccoon Sarah. You'll see them if I ever get around to posting photos of yesterday's doll meet-up. :D

      Delete