Sunday, July 2, 2017

Scents of a Rose Zinna

Talk about an unexpected delivery! I ordered Dollmore's newest Judith Girl Scents of a Rose Zinna on June 16th and she arrived without fanfare early this past week. This sort of thing never happens in the world of BJD collecting unless a doll is in stock--and doll companies rarely have the dolls in stock. You order, they make your doll, then they ship. Usual time is two months or so, often longer. I think what happened here was that Dollmore took sample dolls to a doll convention and those are the ones that are finding their way to collectors now. Scents of a Rose Zinna is a Limited Edition of 10 dolls. I know of one other person at the moment who has received her. Do I mind receiving a sample? Heck, no. I'll take instant gratification any day. Although I sort of missed the ritual of unraveling the mummy. Rose Zinna was well wrapped, but not to the extent (or the amount of tape) that I usually encounter.
My mail carrier had a good laugh, seeing my surprise. Usually I am at the door before he gets out of his truck. The thing is, Dollmore didn't let me know they had shipped. Not only that, but the last time I checked my status on their website (ironically to make sure my payment had gone through) there was nothing happening. And here she is.
Her costume was the main reason I bought her. There's a hint of historical flavor to it, a hint of the boudoir, and I love the color, the trims and the rose patterned fabric. It was a bit complicated to put on, sending me to Dollmore's website at least twice as I tried to figure how what goes where. There are a lot of ribbons. Pretty, yes, but they're there chiefly because every part of the costume ties on. Although the ribbon lacing on the front of the corset is strictly for show, the corset fastens in the back with--you guessed it--more ribbon lacing. Even the panties tie on with ribbons. The only parts of the outfit that don't tie in some way are the shoes and stockings and what Dollmore calls a waist decoration--essentially a bracelet that goes around the waist.
Much as I love the corset, I haven't found the best way to position it. The darn thing has boning in it, which is hardly necessary when worn by a hard body doll. It's not like it has to hold anything in--or up. I laced it tightly, only to find that it sits rather high on her chest. The tight corset also makes her difficult to pose: she's so stiff it's as if all her torso joints were gone.
Her default wig is a pale blonde. As usual with Dollmore's pale blond wigs, it looks slightly green in photographs. I went through my size 7/8 wig bin and came up with two alternatives: a milky pink from Luts and a dark carrot from LeekeWorld/DollGa. Has anyone ever seen a carrot in this shade of red? I haven't. Makes you wonder what kind of plant food they give their carrots in Korea. That said, the red wig is my current favorite despite the fact that it's a bit loose, even with a wig cap under it.
Rose Zinna's sales photos downplayed the amount of red in her makeup. She is very red, especially around the eyes. While it works with her costume, it might be a bit much if I ever change her into everyday clothes. Who am I kidding? Most of my Zinnas wear their full sets exclusively. I only re-dress the ones whose full sets I didn't like, like my Maxima Suntan Zinna. She's another one whose makeup is extreme. So far I've been able to live with it. Extreme or no, there's just something about those Judith Girls!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on Rose! And probably a wise decision to order the costume, when I had dolls delivered that quickly I was taken by surprise and didn't even have eyes and wigs ready. Speaking of wigs, I think the milky pink Luts wig makes her look softer. The red in her dress and the wig makes the red in her face stand out more IMHO. I am sure she'll tell you which one she wants to keep :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Judith Dolls are sold only as full sets, so I tend to judge them first on whether I like the costume and second on whether I like the face up. Not wild about the red face up on this one but I do like the costume. I like both the pink and the red wigs. For now she has chosen the red. She'll probably change eventually. :D

      Delete
  2. Congrats, that is such a fast arrival!! But sad to read they didn't let you know about the shipping, though.

    That fullset is simply so amazing! I love that costume, it is so perfect! *fashion fan over here* I honestly though my screen was the issue, as I didn't knew about the greenish thing on Dollmore pale blond wigs. Though I love the pinkish one you tried on her! I think it fits her faceup really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should have seen me trying to dress her. I didn't remember that she had a cape and was trying to fit it around her waist as another skirt. Another DoA member who bought her laced the corset only halfway in back, which seems to make it fit better. I need to try that.

      That's two votes for the pink wig. I have two votes for the red wig over on DoA. I'll probably alternate between the two. I positively dislike the blonde wig.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love the red on her. She looks like such a minx! These Dollmore girls look like they always have something going on. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red is my favorite, too. Yup, you can tell these girls have something up their sleeve--even when they're not wearing sleeves. :D

      Delete