Sunday, June 25, 2017

My Tiniest Crochet Project


Some years ago I purchased a book titled Creative Crocheted Dolls by Noreen Crone-Findlay. I didn't crochet at the time, although I did make cloth dolls, albeit much larger dolls than the doll projects in the book. What inspired me (and the reason I bought the book) are the techniques for such things as hair, wings, masks, etc. Buried in the middle of the book is a whole chapter on crocheting clothes for a pocket doll. There's even a pattern for a tiny stuffed armchair for the pocket doll to sit in.

By the time I got my crochet skills to the point where I could manipulate a 2mm crochet hook and size 10 thread (yes, I know there are smaller hooks and threads out there, but I can't see well enough to use them) I got the book out again and studied the patterns in earnest. I wouldn't have to make a pocket doll to wear them. I have RealPukis.
If you're unfamiliar with FairyLand dolls, the photo above should give you some idea of comparative sizes. (Never fear, I haven't sold off the rest of my FairyLand dolls. These are merely representative of each size I own). They range in size from the 60cm (23.5in) FeePle 60 boy to the 9.7cm (3.75in) RealPuki. Here is another photo of the largest with the smallest:
I'm surprised I even felt like doing another crochet project after making all those beach hats and bags for last week's doll meet-up, but I had the book out anyway and crochet thread in a lot of colors to work with, so I guess it was inevitable. The first thing I discovered is that the patterns in the book are slightly too big for RealPuki. Maybe if I were to go down in hook and thread size they would fit as written. For that to happen I'll need to buy some crochet hooks with ergonomic handles and then schedule myself for cataract surgery. Last year my eye doctor said it wasn't necessary yet. We'll see what she says this year.
Here is Papilio in a top from the book. The only change I made was to make it as a vest so I wouldn't have to put it on over his head. If he wasn't wearing bulky pants underneath it, the top would be much too loose, although the shoulders might actually sit where they're supposed to. The sides were exactly the same length before I sewed the front to the back, so I'm not sure what happened there. I'll need to make some adjustments before I crochet another one.
I had better luck with dresses, probably because I took one look at the photo of the finished dress in the book and realized it would never fit. Instead I made a skirt and gave it a bib front with ties to fasten in back. Kaka wears the one in lilac (above). Pupu wears the blue (below).
Soso wears what started out as short pants. They look a lot longer now that they're finished. I gave them a bib front to avoid making a separate top. Both pairs of pants were constructed on the fly, i.e., I'd crochet a couple of rows, see how they fit the doll, then do a few rows more, etc. As a first effort they're not too bad, but obviously there's a lot of room for improvement.
And here's the whole RealPuki gang. I'm lucky that they're so easy to please. (At least I think they're pleased...)

2 comments:

  1. Awww your Pukis look so adorable!! I love those tiny outfits you made for them!! They are all so cute, but Papilio is by far my fave, that expression on his face! The green outfit is lovely too :D You are really skilled, you sew and crochet really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm eager to crochet more outfits now that I have a better sense of how the patterns work (or don't work, is more like it :D). I know I shouldn't have favorites, but Papilio and Soso are mine. They're all super cute!

      Delete