Gratitude

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Iplehouse FID Leonard

I had a feeling Leonard would arrive after I posted my Valentine's Day couples--and he did, by one day. Considering all the snow that fell beginning last Sunday afternoon, I'm amazed that he arrived at all. But he's here, and so are the two outfits and wig I ordered with him. I had worried that items (like the wig) which have since sold out would cause a delay while Iplehouse restocked. Instead it looks like they may have set aside everything ordered at the same time as the doll. I hope so. That means Claude should show up in another few weeks, despite the presence of sold-out boots and wig on his order.
FID Leonard and Raccoon Gene
Now that I see Leonard with my previously ordered Lawrence, I wish I had ordered Leonard in real skin and Lawrence in normal skin instead of the other way around. It's hard to choose when Iplehouse shows the dolls only in peach gold and light brown. My imagination can take me only so far. Claude will be coming in normal skin also, instead of the real skin and peach gold Iplehouse shows. Fingers crossed! Of course with FID Claude I have the memory--not to mention lots of photos--of the normal skin SID Claude I used to have, so there shouldn't be any surprises.
FID Lawrence and FID Leonard
On to the clothing. I ordered two outfits with Leonard: the Vintage Road Set and the Black Tuxedo Set. I'm a little nervous about the Vintage Road Set. Blue denim coupled with a black pullover is a recipe for staining. I could have washed the jeans before putting them on a doll, but I was afraid they would shrink. Clothes from Iplehouse are usually skin tight to begin with. After some thought I put the Vintage Road Set on Lawrence, as he is the only doll I ordered in real skin and is less likely to show stains than the other two. I already have the tuxedo on Leonard, which leaves the gray pants and shirt for Claude.
Leonard with Raccoon Sarah
The Tuxedo jacket and pants are a good fit. In fact, the pants are even a wee bit loose, so there is room to tuck in the shirt. Like the gray shirt, the tuxedo shirt is tight enough that it gaps in front. The cummerbund, which is supposed to cover the pants waistband, is too tight. Why did Iplehouse put belt loops on the pants? There is no belt. I'm left to wonder if the cummerbund might fit if I removed the loops. It will take a fair amount of work to do it right, so I want to be sure before I attempt it. There is no possibility of adjusting the cummerbund itself, as it closes with Velcro strips. Maybe if I get brave (or bored) someday I'll simply make a new cummerbund. For now I have the cummerbund sitting above the waistband. I can just barely fasten it.
That leaves the tie. A simple little item, no? A small bow with two ribbons to fasten it. Two ribbons so long that I ended up with a much larger bow in back than in front, way too much ribbon to tuck neatly under the collar. What to do? I snipped some of the length off the ties, folded the ends under and sewed a snap set. I'm not sure the ribbon won't unravel at some point, so I think I might make a new tie by attaching a small ribbon bow to a piece of black elastic. I don't know. Considering how much Iplehouse charges for a complete outfit, shouldn't the outfit 1) be complete and 2) fit in every respect?
Leonard with Raccoon Sarah*
I had a bit of a struggle getting the Vintage Road Set on Lawrence. At first it looked like the pants legs were too narrow to go over his feet but I was able to stretch them enough to get them up. Too bad these guys can't tuck in their butts--I could have used a little help easing the pants over them. The pullover sweater needs to go on carefully. I put one sleeve on, then the neck, which made it awfully hard to maneuver the second sleeve. Probably it would work better to put both hands in, ease on the sleeves and then pop the head through the opening. It would help if the shoulders were not quite so wide. Thankfully he can get into it, which is more than I can say for the shirt Soom sold for Idealian51.
FID Lawrence and FID Miho**
After I put on the bracelet I was left with a mystery piece. I didn't remember a necklace with this outfit. Finally I went back to the website to see what it was. I think this is what Iplehouse calls a decorative belt. It appears to attach to either the belt or the belt loops. None of Iple's photos show exactly how and where, because the sweater comes down over it. Thanks, Iplehouse. At least this outfit comes with a belt.
FID Miho in Navajo
A final word (or more) about wigs. Leonard's dark blonde wig is a James from Facets by Marcia,  made by a custom manufacturer (not her usual Monique Gold). It's a lot tighter than I like, and because it has less hair it makes his small head look even smaller. I think I'll reserve it for my first Raccoon man, whenever Raccoon Dolls gets around to releasing one. Leonard's fuller, reddish wig is from FairyLand. It was sold as a wig for LittleFee but I always found it too tight to get on mine. Occasionally one of my Raccoon girls will wear it; for now I think Leonard will keep it. The wig I bought from Iplehouse is a mess. Not only is it tight, it was poorly cut. Granted I am no hairdresser, but I will probably give it a trim and see if I can salvage it. Heaven knows I can't make it much worse. When it comes to wigs the FID men appear to fall between sizes 5-6 and 6-7. I would be tempted to buy a Jpopdolls wig size 6.25, if only she sold some in a style more befitting a man. The only style currently available is Kanalong. In my opinion it's just too long.

All the girls pictured are wearing wigs by Monique Gold as sold by Facets by Marcia. Gene's wig is Faye in reddish brown, Sarah's is Pretty Girl in carrot red, and Miho's is Navajo in brown black. Because it's so tightly braided, this wig did not fit her at first, so I let Gene stretch it for a month or so. Now it's perfect. Hmm, maybe I ought to let the girls stretch my men's wigs, too...

*Sarah is wearing the gift dress that SoulDoll sent with the purchase of Vito Freya. It's a little loose on top and might work better on a doll with a larger bust. I believe all my Raccoon girls have the small bust. I'll have to try it on FID Miho for fit.

**Miho is wearing an Iplehouse sweater and leggings made for JID girls. Because the leggings were short for her, I crocheted some leg warmers. She needs boots.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new boy! It is true, IH always shows dolls in either Peach Gold, Real Skin and rarely on Light Brown, so it is very hard to imagine.

    However, it is sad what you say about the outfit. I agree, it should be complete and fit in every aspect, what is sad is that IH quality control is lacking. Maybe you should contact them? By the way, Leonard looks great with Sarah!

    And the leg warmers are such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think Iplehouse shows dolls in the middle-range resin colors because they look better in photos. When I photographed Lawrence and Leonard together, my camera took its light reading from Lawrence, which left Leonard looking washed out.

      I suspect that the seamstresses who sew clothing for Iplehouse don't try every piece on a doll. They follow a pattern, so it should fit. The trouble is even 1 mm of variance on a seam makes a difference on an outfit this small. If I didn't know how to sew I probably would contact Iple. As it is, I can fix most things. (Although I'm still wondering how I can salvage the Soom shirt. It needs to button down the entire front, otherwise it won't fit anyone. The trouble is I don't have matching fabric to extend the button placket all the way down.)

      Glad you like the leg warmers! They were fun and easy to make. She's wearing them with high heels at the moment, but I think they'd look better with a more casual shoe or a short boot.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised by SOOM and Iplehouse lack of detail and fit for their outfit. Both companies charge a lot of money for their clothes, the least they could do is to make them fit properly, after all, they have the dolls they make the clothes for right there.

    Your new guys is handsome nonetheless and the outfits are al very nice looking. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fantasywoods! I've wanted Leonard ever since the Carved Heritage version, but he was too big for me to even consider. FID Leonard is perfect.

      I'm beginning to wonder if Soom and Iplehouse clothing might be made off-site. It's possible the seamstresses don't have the dolls to try things on. That would explain why so many items almost but don't quite fit.

      Delete