Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year! - First Dress of 2017

My first outfit of the year was supposed to be a kilt for Soul Kid Yarn. When I finished putting it together, however, it didn't fit him, no matter how hard I tugged or where I placed the snap sets. It was plenty big when I started. What went wrong? Close inspection showed me that at least one pleat had turned back on itself as I was sewing the waistband, making a lump at the waist. Also, I had tacked down the pleats a short way all around and now discovered that some of the tacks went through too many layers of fabric. So last night--after a neighbor's fireworks jolted me out of bed--I sat at my sewing table and picked the seams apart. I guess my first outfit of the year will be the kilt after all, as it's the first one I'm working on in 2017. Although seeing as I'm back to square one, you won't see it before next week.
That makes WithDoll Priscilla's dress the first finished outfit of the year. If you recall, Model Delf Annette claimed Priscilla's blue dress, which meant Priscilla needed something else to wear with her silver cloak and glittery shoes. It needed to be in keeping with her persona as a guardian spirit of the moon, so I selected a gray quilting cotton with a tiny print, along with a solid dark gray cotton gauze. The printed fabric would become a corset top with matching puffed sleeves (Gracefaerie's #21 Corset for MSD), which I intended to pair with a high-low skirt in the cotton gauze and a short underskirt of plain white cotton.
I had never made a high-low skirt before. I didn't have a pattern. I have made any number of full skirts from simple rectangles, however, so I deduced that a high-low was simply a plain skirt with part of the rectangle cut away. After folding and cutting a small piece of paper to make sure I was on the right track, I measured Priscilla for length and cut my fabric. Normally this is where you get my sob story about why the piece didn't work. Not this time. This time it worked! I didn't line the skirt. It might have looked better if I had but chances are it would have hung more stiffly. I didn't want stiff--I wanted fluid. There is enough stiffness from the tulle trim I added to both the underskirt and the high-low.
I changed her wig to a white Kana from Jpopdolls and added one of my old bracelets as a headband. It's nice to find a use for these bracelets after so many years. I never wore them much even when I was younger as I always hated to have something dangling from my wrist. They fit a size 6-7 head almost perfectly. This one does tend to slide down if I'm not careful. It fits better with a fuller wig.

Happy New Year to All!

6 comments:

  1. That's just beautiful! It looks both professional and romantic--perfect for your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fishcake! I'm always happy when I turn out something that isn't a hot mess. LOL

      Delete
  2. Happy new year!! That dress is stunning, it suits her wonderfully, and the bracelet is such a great touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't totally happy with her previous look, which didn't look right no matter which wig I paired with it. This time everything works and I couldn't be happier.

      Delete
  3. You have such patience for reworking outfits, I so dislike correcting things!
    And Priscilla new outfit looks stunning, I love it! She looks so beautiful! The skirt looks great like this, not lining the skirt was a great idea!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like correcting mistakes, either. I always wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to just start over, but then I don't want to waste the fabric so I go ahead and fix what went wrong.
      Priscilla says thank you! Some dolls come together quickly and easily. I can't believe how many combinations of eyes and wigs it took to get Priscilla looking how I wanted her. Although I might remake those puffed sleeves. The quilting cotton was a little too stiff--the cotton gauze might look better.

      Delete