Gratitude

Sunday, October 23, 2016

WithDoll Dark Knight Priscilla

I ordered Dark Knight Priscilla without the costume and extras that make her a dark knight. Some people might ask: Why buy a limited edition doll without the components that define the edition? My answer to that? The face-up. Basic Priscilla never spoke to me. Dark Knight Priscilla made me sit up and take notice. That said, I did wonder if I would be wowed once I saw the doll without the fantasy trappings. From the moment I opened the box, I was. In case you're wondering, the contraption on her head is the face protector. Instead of removing it to take the photo, I slid it over her head. What you see is the tape on its bottom edge.
I chose Priscilla in normal resin with large bust. She came with an extra pair of hands (for clasping the sword that I didn't buy--maybe I'll give her a musical instrument instead) and high heel feet. I switched to the heel feet immediately, because the only other thing I ordered with her was a pair of pumps. WithDoll calls them silver. In reality they are transparent with some silver glitter mixed into the resin. The sparkle! The bling! Oh, yeah! (See second photo below.)
Her dress could have been a bit longer. The shoes have a platform sole as well as a high heel, which I didn't plan for when I cut out the dress. Then again, a longer dress might have hidden the shoes, so I'm not altogether disappointed. Emma claimed Priscilla's cloak some time back; the new one is not ready. I worked on two long seams yesterday, then quit because cloudy conditions meant I couldn't see what I was doing. I've learned from experience never to work with black thread on dark fabric in low light. It's just too hard to rip out the mistakes.
For her initial photo shoot, Priscilla wore a Monique Pretty Girl wig in brown black/blonde. I didn't use the acrylic eyes that WithDoll sent. Instead I tried various glass eyes from my stash. I had to reject some lovely eyes because their domes were too high to work in this sculpt. Below you see the blue eyes we started with. I love that they match the color of her dress. I don't love that they make her look like a deer in the headlights. Priscilla appears to be a wide-eyed sculpt. The effect intensifies when the camera's flash goes off. 
I gave the blue eyes to Angela. That set off a chain reaction with dolls trading eyes until Priscilla ended up with the light gray-green that Egon originally wore and he ended up with new jellies from DollBakery. I changed Priscilla's wig to go with the lighter eyes; she is now wearing a Monique Ginger wig in peach blonde/ginger brown. I like the softer look this gives her.

Below are Egon and Angela in their new eyes. If I'm not mistaken these are both from DollBakery. Egon's are Wisteria Jelly (no iris) and Angela's are blue denim (low dome-small iris). The blue eyes look much smaller and paler in Angela, influenced both by her narrow eye openings and her dark resin.
Also in the box with Priscilla was Ruby's missing quiver. Ruby is delighted to have it, especially as it coordinates perfectly with the outfit I made her. I crocheted the arm guards. They're a bit thick, so I may replace them with fabric in the same color to match her tights.


Priscilla's dress is adapted from Plaisirs d'Ete, a pattern for Ellowyne Wilde by MHD Designs. The cloak pattern is #27 The Cloak by Gracefaerie Designs for MSD size dolls.


9 comments:

  1. Congrats! She is very pretty! Priscilla is one of my faves! Nice to see one with normal skin and dark night faceup. And awesome that Ruby got her quiver!

    Her dress is stunning and shoes are also pretty! I love those "Cinderella" shoes. I also ordered those silver heels with my latest wd girl. Just couldn´t resist them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wheatear! I thought of those shoes as Cinderella shoes, too. They're not completely transparent, but close enough. I'm having trouble getting her to balance in them, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of them.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress for a lovely girl. If you would have made the skirt longer the bling heels wouldn't show, so it's a good thing you didn't. And the bow and quiver are the perfect addition to Ruby's costume. You've been busy, I see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mia! I'm telling myself I made the skirt short so she can dance more easily. :)

      I have too many projects underway, so I'm feeling a bit stressed. I put off sewing Priscilla's cloak for weeks and now she's here and I really need to do it. I'm also working on crochet projects: a dress for FID, a bodice for Unoa Chibi, as well as hats, wigs and scarves for Realpuki and Doll Chateau tinies. I hope to show some of them in a future post.

      Delete
    2. I know the feeling. :). I am looking forward to see them. I can see little heaps of unfinished projects talking to you.. "finish me" "me first" :D

      Delete
  3. Priscilla!! She is so pretty!!
    I have those "cinderella shoes" too, they are so amazing!! And I completely love the dress you made for her, she looks so stunning <3
    I understand, black thread on black fabric with low light it is a pain and an open gate for mistakes =S
    I think Priscilla looks great as a blonde!
    Also congrats on getting the missing quiver!! It is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Musume! I'll have to photograph Priscilla with Emma--they look so much alike they could be sisters. I was afraid blonde hair might not work with Priscilla's dark eyebrows, but the dark streaks in this wig work perfectly.

      The quiver is a really nice, well-made piece. It's long enough to protect the arrows' delicate shafts, so I won't worry so much about breaking them.

      Delete
  4. Congrats!! She is lovely! And so happy you got the quiver too in the end.
    The blue dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I'm so glad I notified WithDoll that the quiver was missing. They sent it promptly. That's what I call great customer service. :)

      Delete