Gratitude

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Work in Progress: Rapunzel Cosplay

I've been working like a fiend possessed, trying to get dolls ready for the Vermont Doll Lovers' Halloween meet-up. I don't remember if it's in two weeks or three. Either way, I have a lot of work to do in not a lot of time.

Several dolls already have costumes from past years. Even so, I always like to have one or two new costumes to make things interesting. Earlier this year another collector sold me the fullset outfit from FairyLand's Lunnula Moonbeams release. My FairyLand FM60 Mirwen will wear that, while my F60 Siean boy will have to be Harry Potter again--at least this year he has the round glasses to complete the look. They're a bit snug. I hope I can stretch them a bit without breaking them. I could have dressed FM60 Lacrima as Frozen's Elsa again but I wanted her to have something new. After giving it a bit of thought (and looking through a Simplicity catalog devoted to costumes) I decided on Rapunzel from Disney's Tangled. Why Rapunzel? For one, the dress looked fairly easy to reproduce. And then I found Pascal. And a Rapunzel wig. We have green eyes. No frying pan, but you can't have everything.

This is Rapunzel (illustration copyright Disney):
The more I studied this dress, the more I realized I have just the patterns needed to construct it. They are the ever versatile #10 Takeshita-dori and #16 The Corset, both by Gracefaerie Designs.
Obviously the dress would need some alterations: lose the collar, modify the neckline, lose the flare of the lower sleeve, lengthen the skirt, add a front panel in a printed fabric. I had a number of purple fabrics, most of them prints but not the right prints, so I went to Jo-Ann's. Knowing I'd never find a pink and purple stripe for the sleeves, I constructed my own from my basic lavender bodice fabric and strips of the medium purple that I will use for the corset. I had a few odds and ends of trims in various shades of purple but not enough of any of them for the skirt. Not only did I find an acceptable trim online, it arrived fast enough for me to use it!
A word of warning before I show you the dress. I've been at it for several days and have ironed parts of it as I went along. I have not, however, ironed the full dress. It still needs snaps for closure and I want to finish off some inside seams. In other words, it's looking poufy now but hopefully that will change when it's done. And then there is the matter of color. My camera seems to have a hard time reading purple. It wants this dress to be blue. No part of this dress is blue--not even the flower trim on the sleeves. For that matter, the cutting board behind the dress is not gray, it's green. Fingers crossed that everything will come together when I add the corset and put the completed outfit on the doll.
That little green thing with eyes--that's Pascal. If you're not familiar with the movie, Pascal is a chameleon. He likes to ride on Rapunzel's shoulder, or else on her head. I don't know what it is about the little guy, but with one look he can make both grown men and powerful Palace horses toe the line.

I have already cut out the fabric for the corset and its lining. I still need to cut and sew a slip to give Rapunzel's dress that bit of lace peeking out at the bottom. And when I finish that, I need to start on something for FID Miho to wear. I really should start my Halloween costumes earlier!









10 comments:

  1. Lovely job you have done there my dear! It must be fun going to a doll cosplay, I'd be in it if we had them here, but we don't.
    I hope you will post photos of your doll wearing the complete costume.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu!
      I will absolutely post photos of the doll in the completed costume. But first I have to finish it. Eek!

      Delete
  2. What an excellent job you've done! Really great work! I cannot wait to see the finished product! Haha yes maybe next year start a month or two earlier >.<
    -Lydia
    Lydia's Dolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lydia!
      I need to shorten the sleeves. I looked at a few more photos of Rapunzel and realized those sleeves are 3/4 length instead of full length. Never mind starting a month or two earlier--I need to be working on them all year long! Ha-ha-ha!

      Delete
  3. That looks fantastic! I know the American Girls has a set of tiny pans and Lodge does too--but the Lodge one is probably too heavy for your girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Fishcake. American Girl props are usually a good size for FeePle60. I'll take a look. I toyed with the idea of making a frying pan out of polymer clay, but that's only if I don't find something already made.

      Delete
  4. It's looking lovely so far!!! How fun it will be to see the photos of all the costumes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought I was going to finish it today. Instead I made a few changes to what was already there. So, hopefully, tomorrow I will make the corset. I'm looking forward to the actual meet-up. It's always the best meeting of the year.

      Delete
  5. The frying pan xDD I bet you could sculpt one very easily, you are really skilled and resourceful!
    And the rapunzel dress is looking great!! I love the fabrics you used, they are so pretty! And tiny Pascal is adorable <3

    Good luck with the corset!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a frying pan online. It's the perfect size and it's a lightweight plastic so she should be able to hold it without having one of her magnetic hands fall off. The corset is done and so are my other changes. I've taken photos of everything except the frying pan, which arrived after I had taken down my backdrop and put everything away.

      Delete