Gratitude

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Long Cloak with Hood

Last week I showed you the short cloak with ruffled collar from Gracefaerie Designs' #27 The Cloak pattern. This week I made the long version with hood from the same pattern and fabric. I had intended it for WithDoll Priscilla, but seeing it modeled by WithDoll Emma, it's clear to me that this is meant to be Emma's cloak. Priscilla will get the same style in a different fabric. Yippee! I get to go fabric shopping!
With last week's cloak serving as a trial run, this version came together easily. My new fusible interfacing seems to be thinner than the one I used on the first cloak, which made the yoke less bulky. The fabric gave me a little trouble where it joins the lining on the hood. Even though I ironed the seam towards the lining as directed, once I turned the hood right-side out the seam allowance twisted inside. It's too late to fix it now, but next time I'll know to tack that seam onto the lining to keep it in place.
The pattern calls for lining the front sections of the cloak. I opted to do a rolled hem on the edges instead and only lined the yoke. As I had suspected it would, it works better on the long cloak than it did on the short version (see last week's photos). I left the cloak long enough to puddle on the ground. There's not a lot more to say about it, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. Enjoy!
I'm awaiting the arrival of a little fox from WithDoll. In case she doesn't arrive in time, I have a project in mind to work on for next week's blog. I won't tell you what the garment will be, only that it's not for a WithDoll. One part will be made from the brown plaid and the other part will be made from the silver velvet. I may or may not use the trims pictured.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely cloak!!! it looks very ethereal in that color and pattern!

    Those fabrics look really nice, I'm surious to see what will they become :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the length and the hood. I think I'll pass the short cloak on to a smaller doll.

      Today I cut out my pattern pieces from the plaid and velvet. Now to sew it together. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks very pretty indeed! Hope you find what you're looking for when you shop for the other cloak. :)

    I do enjoy seeing other people's sewing projects.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like this version of the cloak so much better! Not shopping yet as I want to work on the plaid project. (I needed a break from the elf stuff.)

      Delete
  3. OMG THE CAPE!! *dies* It looks so AMAZING! And I love the fabric, so yay for more fabric shopping! It is an addiction hahaha!

    I'm very curious about your project, although I hope Fox Lucy will arrive soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What can I say except I love it. Funny thing, too, is how much taller Emma looks wearing this one.

      No shipping notice yet. Other people have received their Lucys, so I'm hoping she'll ship this week.

      Delete
  4. She looks so elfin, this is lovely. By the way, I added a quick tutorial to the shoe-post, just in case you want to try (although I am pretty sure you don't need it with your skills)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll take a look at the tutorial, although the way you described the process in your blog post makes it sound fairly simple. I suspect that finding thin, soft leather will be the hardest part. Antique Lilac's blog has a similar shoe tutorial. I've been meaning to try it but haven't got around to it yet.

      Glad you like the cloak!

      Delete
    2. I think you'll find it easy. I used some stuff I also use for pants and vests, it's faux leather jersey, thin, flexible, easy to sew by hand and machine. It's probably not that hard to find. Glove-leather is really expensive and if you just need a tiny piece of it maybe you can find old gloves in a thrift store or something.

      Delete
    3. I have some thin faux leather. Not sure if it's a jersey but I'll give it a try. It's a reptilian print, so it should be appropriate for shoes. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. The cloak looks great! So pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete