Sunday, August 14, 2016

WithDoll's Egon the Elf Knight


The first time WithDoll offered Egon the Elf Knight for sale I saw him and thought, "Gosh, he's cute," but didn't order him. I don't remember which doll edged him out, only that I had to make a choice and he lost. At the time I didn't know that WithDoll re-releases its Limited Edition dolls. I believed that if I missed out, that was it. Poof! Gone. Since then I've learned to be patient because WithDoll does bring back Limiteds. My beef now is that they re-release several at a time when I can afford only one. So I'm still forced to choose.
Choosing Egon was easy this time around. The issue was how much of him to order. Blank doll? With face-up? To wig or not to wig? Optional girl body? Did I love his outfit enough to order it, or would I make my own? Did I need his option parts (sword, armor, loafers)? Wait a minute. Loafers? I looked more closely at the promo photos. Yes, loafers. Those weren't boots he was wearing, but what WithDoll calls "leg warmers" worn over plain black loafers. Definitely no on the option parts, then. So, having decided that the chief parts of his charm were the boy body, face-up and wig, that's as much as I ordered. And settled in for the three-month wait.
While waiting I ordered boots from Dollmore. I have a letter opener that looks like a sword. It might be too heavy for him to hold but it should work hanging from a sword belt. If not, I would craft a bow and arrows. I put his weaponry on the back burner for now. WithDoll's boy body measurements are close to those of the Luts Model Delf boy. The Model Delf is slightly bigger in the chest, waist and hips, so I reasoned that anything I sewed using the Model Delf as a fit model would work for Egon. Preferably it should be a little snug on the Model Delf. The LumeDoll male also has similar measurements, except his hips are a tiny bit smaller.
I assembled a group of fabrics in the colors of the forest and selected several likely patterns. For the leggings I used Petits Riens by MHD Designs. She has issued this pattern for several different doll sizes; I used the one for 14-inch Kish girl dolls. When I first tried out this pattern on MiniFee girls, I found I had to take it in. I don't know what idiocy prompted me to use the MiniFee version for the taller boys, but their hip measurements were similar, the boots would disguise any deficiency in length and the knit had four-way stretch so it worked.
The tee shirt came from Just Kickin' by Adams-Harris Pattern Company. The pattern makes a long-sleeve knit shirt with color inserts in the sleeves. I simply omitted the inserts and lower sleeve parts, as well as the collar. For the tunic I used the shirt pattern from Brummel, also by Adams-Harris. It's a pattern for 1:3 size male dolls that I photo-reduced for use with 1:4 size dolls. I used the body of the shirt and the collar but omitted the sleeves. The suede cloth I used is hard to sew. To keep sewing to a minimum, I gave the tunic hem and shoulders a zigzagged edge.
Finally, I made arm guards from old pieces of leather-look fabric. It may have been imitation leather upholstery material. Whatever it is (polyester?) it's not fine enough to be called faux. But it works for something that needs to look tough enough to protect a knight's arms in battle. My last shopping trip to Michael's turned up a leather trim with metal accents. Perfect.
Model Delf Avalanche wearing same outfit
I like the outfit so much (and the one I made for LumeDoll after discarding the first tunic I made for him) that I plan to make one for my Model Delf as well. He's not an elf, as the other two boys are, but can serve in their universe as a human forester.
LumeDoll's version

8 comments:

  1. He's a very handsome looking elf doll and the outfit is perfect for him. I really like elves of all shapes and sizes. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xanadu. I love elves, too. There's just something about those ears!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting him!!! He is so handsome, and yes, Withdoll does bring limited backs! Happy you were able to get him :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Musume! I'm happy too. I love the WithDoll boy body, especially compared to the MiniFee boy. I do wish the elbow and knee joints were rounded off, however, as he would look much more elegant.

      Delete
  3. He's so handsome congrats!!! The outfit and the boots look amazing on him, before reading I thought it was part of the fullset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's high praise indeed. :)

      Delete
  4. He has the cutest face! I'm so glad you were finally able to grab him. Your elf crew is looking splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fishcake! My crew is nearing completion. One more elf on order and another WithDoll with human ears. Selling some big dolls allowed me to go crazy this year.

      Delete