Gratitude

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Smaller than a Realpuki

Way back in February I ordered Pico Baby Ashes, a tiny dragon from Aileen Doll. I'll admit, I looked at the 8cm size stated on their website and thought, "That has to be an error." In fact, 8cm is about 3 and 1/8 inches. FairyLand, by comparison, puts its Realpukis at 9.7cm or just over 3 and 3/4 inches. I still didn't believe it. The package arrived this past week. It wasn't the smallest box I had ever signed for, but it sure was the lightest. Did they forget to put him in the box? Inside the shipper was a smaller box.
Tweazel, my Aileen Dragon Lapis v.2, hopped aboard to supervise the opening.
Once I convinced him to get off the box so I could open it, the following items came to light: a bubble-wrapped pillow-like form that I guessed contained Ashes in his sleeping bag, a small foam-wrapped bow-tie shape (no idea whatsoever), an oval foam-wrapped shape that must be the baby dragon's egg, and the certificate of authenticity. There was supposed to be a pacifier, but maybe that was in the egg. It certainly sounded like something small was rattling around in there.
Bubble wrap removed, Tweazel looked inside. Yup, he's in there.
All unwrapped and disassembled for painting. Aileen Doll did not offer painting/blushing with this doll, although they showed a fully painted doll in the sales photos. Not to worry! I copied the photos to my computer to use as a guide. I had already downloaded their Dragon Assembly Manual. It turned out I didn't need it, because the baby is not connected in quite the same way as the full size dragons. The head, upper and lower torso, and arms are strung in the usual way; the face, legs and wings attach via magnets. (The bow-tie shaped foam package held the wings.) The jawbone/dental piece snaps into place in the same way as on the large dragons. The small white piece near the bottom right of the photo is the baby's pacifier or teat, as Aileen Doll calls it.

The eggshell from which the baby has hatched is in two parts. The bottom half has an embedded magnet. At first I had no idea what it was for. The dragon does not actually fit inside the egg, although you can balance the top part on his head.

I took a closer look at Aileen Doll's promo photo showing Baby Ashes in his egg. It turns out you can see only one foot. The reason for this is that they have removed one leg and attached the eggshell to the leg magnet. Of course the doll is now unbalanced, so even though the bottom of the eggshell is flat, the doll's weight still tips it over. You have to prop him up on something for the trick to work. And then don't look too closely or you'll wonder where his leg went.
I really should have set up my magnifying lamp to do the painting. On the whole I didn't do a terrible job, but I do have a blobby line on one eyelid. So eventually his faceplate will get repainted. I also have another pair of eyes on order. He is wearing Eyeco 11cm soft silicone. I ordered a pair of 10cm acrylics and if they don't work out I'll try glass. I'm trying to stay away from glass with him, however, because it makes his head heavy.

By now I'm sure you're wondering how he compares to a Realpuki. Well, he's shorter but also stockier. His center of gravity is lower. Here, see for yourselves, but don't make the mistake Kaka did and take his pacifier away. This little guy is not to be trifled with.
With his pacifier returned, he accepts a bit of comfort from Tweazel:
Usually I have a hard time coming up with names for my dolls, but his came more easily than most. His Don't-mess-with-me expression reminded me of Rum Tum Tugger, the mischief-making kitten who always wants what he can't have in the musical Cats. Of course, Rum Tum Tugger is a lot of name for a baby, so this little dragon will simply go by Rum Tum.




10 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! Rum Tum is a cutie~!! I love aileen dragons :D!!!! And he's so tiny!!!
    I wonder if the bigger dragons also come unassembled when you don't order the paint job. I ordered Ashes blank but I still have some time to go.
    You did a nice job with the painting, though I agree the line on top og the eyelids is a bit thick, but you can improve that quickly, I think :) and it only looks thick once you see the photos real big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're all so cute, I would love to get all the dragons. I would think your big Ashes will come assembled. My pico Ashes was all put together except for the wings. I just took him apart for painting.

      Someone needs to invent a camera-lamp that hooks up to the computer and shows in real time how your paint job is progressing. I always dread the moment when I see my completed face-up enlarged on the screen. Yikes!

      Delete
  2. Haha I am dead of cute! And that is soooo tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think I was cross-eyed by the time I finished blushing and painting. The worst part was spraying the MSC. I couldn't figure out how to hold him. I would have put him on a piece of cardboard, but I was afraid the first blast of MSC would blow him into my driveway!

      Delete
  3. So tiny and cute! I am sure you will have a lot of fun stories with this baby at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayumi! He is going to my next doll meet-up. I expect he'll get into everything and make a lot of noise when he doesn't get his way. LOL And I also have ideas for working him into ongoing story lines on my blog.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, he is just so cute!! And Rum Tum is a lovely name!
    When I saw them I wondered which type of elastic they used, and turned out they had magnets! Thank you for sharing so many interesting info about him :3
    AileenDoll dragons are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Musume! I just love AD dragons, but I think I'll stick to the normal sized ones from now on. I want to get the pink one next (Rot) to be my vampire Shiloh's pet. Shiloh goes by the name Prince Pink (because of his outfit).

    The little dragons do use some elastic. You can see it in the parts photo. It's very thin. One look at it and I decided not to un-string his arms for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwah hah! I love how the baby comes with a pacifier. I look forward to seeing both dragons at a future meetup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! You'll see him next weekend. I'm bringing both dragons!

    ReplyDelete