Sunday, May 1, 2016

Introducing WithDoll Emma

Emma, a slim mini from Korean company WithDoll, arrived yesterday. Most of my 1/4 scale dolls are slim minis, so it was only a matter of time before I added one of these to my doll family. Because I've been uncharacteristically slow to act, I missed out on some limited editions that I now regret. You can bet I'll be paying more attention to WithDoll going forward, especially as I've learned that some limited editions are released a second time. I'd sure like to get hold of that elf knight I missed a short time back. Next time around he's mine!
WithDoll girls can be purchased with a few options: resin color (several to choose from, with additional color choices for limiteds), face-up (yes or no), breast size (small or large), wig (the same one shown in the doll's promo photos). In the case of limited editions, the buyer can choose the outfit and any optional parts. The dolls come with both flat feet and heel feet, as well as four hands and 12mm acrylic eyes. Compared with similar dolls from other companies, they are competitively priced.
There is always some hesitation when dealing with a doll company you don't know well. Will I like the doll? Will she be good quality? Will I be able to find clothing and shoes easily or will she be hard to fit? Will she pose well? I am happy to say that I am delighted with Emma. Her resin is smooth, the skin color is pretty (it's normal but every company's normal is a different color depending on the resin formula), and she is solid considering her small size. I love her elbows. They give her arms an excellent range of motion. The knee joints not so much. They're fairly attractive as doll knees go but their motion is restricted. I'm not sure I see any advantage to double jointed elbows combined with single jointed knees. I prefer double jointing for both. Despite the limitations of her knees, she poses well. She is jointed under the bust but not at the waist. The jury is still out on this feature. Some dolls which are jointed everywhere are difficult to control. At least the mostly static torso avoids unwanted contortions in front of the camera.


Emma's measurements are similar to Narae's, so clothing and patterns designed for Narae will fit. Her flat feet are the same size as MiniFee girl feet, so they can share flat shoes. When it comes to heel feet, the WithDoll arch is lower which makes the foot slightly longer, so I doubt they will share high heels. WithDoll and MiniFee hands and feet attach to the dolls in the same ways: magnets for the hands and resin knobs for the feet.
I was in the process of sewing a dress for Emma when she arrived. What with one thing and another I didn't finish it and so she is wearing a two-piece crocheted dress that I received as a gift with a secondhand MiniFee. Emma just happens to wear the set better. (Except when sitting, which hikes up the skirt.) In my photos Emma wears a wig that came with the same MiniFee. I could never get it to stay put on the MiniFee's larger head. The wig's use of a secondary color reminds me of LeekeWorld's art wigs but I don't know for sure if it is. I gave her gray glass eyes instead of the dark green Glib acrylic eyes that came with her. She is wearing shoes made for the Goodreau resin BJDs. Thank goodness I have several pairs of Goodreau shoes, for the dolls and their clothing are no longer produced.
Emma may be my first doll from this Korean Company, but I doubt she'll be the last.(In fact, I know she won't be my last. I ordered a tiny doll from them a couple of weeks ago.)

7 comments:

  1. She is lovely congrats!!!! I really like withdoll. I like their tinies mostly, but I'm always in love with whatever limited they come up. Fantasy armor resin pieces? hell yes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I ordered tiny Laney with the sheep costume. So cute! I wanted to order the little wolf, too, but I'm glad I held off. Egon is back!!!!! I'll have to forego the armor and costume, but I already have plans for how I can craft the armor pieces. Oh, yeah!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting Emma!! She is gorgeous! I love the dress she is wearing, and I think blonde really suits her <3

    I don't want to be an enabler, but the elf knight (Egon) has just been re-released xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I thought I'd have to wait over a year to see him again! Egon--come to mama! By the time Raccoon Doll gets around to releasing male dolls, I'll be out of money, but who cares. I can just swing it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Musume! In the excitement of seeing your comment about Egon, I totally forgot to thank you for your compliments on Emma. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty girl, congrats! I like the crochet set, it's lovely on her.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the crochet set. A.) I wish I had crocheted it. B.) I wish I knew how.

      Delete