Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Dress for Emma; Steampunk for Roo

Much as I love the crochet dress Emma modeled last time, I really wanted her to have a new dress that no other doll had worn before. No hand-me-downs. Her own dress.
Finished bodice with tiers for skirt
Because Emma is roughly the same size as Narae, I picked a pattern that I knew fit Narae: Lilac Afternoon by Gracefaerie Designs. I'm not sure how many times I've made this dress. I do know I've tried different colors and variations with the 3-tiered skirt. I've even used the bodice with a different skirt. This time I made it all in the same fabric--a pretty pink print.
"He won't bite, will he?"
Below are two previous versions from August 2010, modeled by Narae on the left and Supia Yan on the right. On each the skirt is made up from three different fabrics.
Here is another view of Emma's dress. Her shoes are from DollinStyle. They also fit MiniFees. (I just noticed the shoes are sold out from Denver Doll. When did that happen? I must have bought the last two pairs!)
In addition to making Emma's dress, I have been reworking an outfit for Dollpire Roo to wear at next Saturday's doll meet-up, which has a Steampunk theme. Originally I made the outfit to fit Iplehouse JID Benny, seen here below.
Benny looks slim here, which is surprising given that the skirt had excess fabric and a loose fit. I was able to use very little of this for Roo, who has a much smaller waist and whose hands are too large to go through the sleeves of the Iplehouse blouse. I still want to use the cummerbund, which is too wide, even if it loses some decoration when I remake it. The vest should be loose enough to fit over it. Here is what I've come up with so far:
I really want to work the top skirt into the outfit, if I can do so without making her look thick around the middle. The vest and blouse come from two different patterns, both for Kaye Wiggs minis. The blouse is from Gracefaerie's #50 Kaleidoscope. I had made the turtleneck from the same pattern before and found it fit Roo, so I knew the blouse would work. The vest comes from L'Ecoliere, a pattern by MHD Designs (seen below on Kaye Wiggs Layla).
If the skirt looks familiar, it's because you saw it recently on Zaoll Luv. The blouse and vest, while they were too tight for Luv, were a relaxed fit on Roo. The original blouse was stiff and fit Roo like a pajama top, so I remade it in a lightweight fabric. Then I decided it didn't look right for Steampunk and made the high necked, more Victorian-looking blouse from the Gracefaerie pattern instead. As you can see in the photos, I removed the large buttons and fabric loop fastenings from the vest and substituted smaller buttons and snaps. I removed the red bow and attached key charm and replaced them with a different bow and a charm with gears on it.
I also took the propeller off the top hat, leaving the two gears, and added a striped band under the original sheer ribbon. I thought I was done with it, but after seeing Musume's Steampunk Regency Riding Habit a couple of days ago on her blog My Dolly Adventures, I plan to steal her idea of attaching a pair of glasses via chain. (Thanks for the inspiration, Musume!)









10 comments:

  1. Love the pink dress for Emma!!!! and that steampunk combo is great too~
    I love how you always include where you got the patters. Might be useful for me in the future if I decide to try sewing :D!!
    Your sewing skills are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I figure other people who sew for their dolls read my blog, so I'm always glad to help out with pattern names and sources.
      Give sewing a try! I wasn't good at it when I started dressing my dolls in 2008. The more you sew, the better you get at it.

      Delete
  2. So many cute clothes!! I especially like the Gracefaerie pink dress--it fits so well and it's flattering in both color and shape! You have a great eye for matching fabric patterns and weights, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fishcake! (New avatar photo? I like.) The pink fabric came from my stash. I don't remember buying it, but I suspect it dates from my cloth doll-making days.
      I like Gracefaerie's patterns. Not only do they fit well, but her instructions are easier to follow than some.

      Delete
  3. Love Emma's dress, and Bennie's too! You've made so many gorgeous outfits!!
    I'm glad I was able to inspire you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Musume! I recognized your doll's glasses as soon as I saw them. I have them in a different metal color. My challenge at the moment is to find a chain that matches.
      In 2010 I set myself the task of making black and white outfits for a large group of dolls. Narae's and Yan's dresses are from that project. Collecting the fabrics and then sewing them was so much fun! I guess that's why I keep doing it.

      Delete
  4. I am always amazed at how you can sew such tiny little things. You really have an eye for doll fashion. You could run your own design house like on the The Bold and The Beautiful, only for doll clothes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Wish I could call myself a designer but I can't. I'll mix up pieces of other people's patterns and choose fabrics and trims, but I don't know how to draft my own patterns. I'd never make money selling doll clothes, either, because I'm so slow at sewing.

      Delete
  5. Pink is obviously Emma's colour, she looks wonderful in this pretty dress. I like the black & white versions too. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She does look pretty in pink. It's a fun dress to sew.

      Delete