Sunday, April 3, 2016

More Regency for MiniFee

After the success of Shushu's dress last week, I knew I had to make similar dresses for Lishe and Mirwen. I used the same pattern: New Romantic (for Ellowyne Wilde) by Adams-Harris, varying it by using different fabrics and trims.
Mirwen's dress is white cotton printed in yellow and blue, i.e., both the background color and floral design are printed onto the fabric. Because my Mirwen has a small bust, I knew she would not fill out the bodice the way the two large chested girls do. I could have altered the neckline. Instead I opted to use the pattern as is and make up the difference with lace. I trimmed her dress with pale blue lace and three yellow roses.
I selected and rejected several fabrics for Lishe's dress. In the end, I went back to the first fabric I had pulled: a pale yellow-beige with a floral print in shades of orange. It's trimmed with deep orange mini lace and gimp trim. I threaded pale green ribbon through the lace at the waist.
Usually I don't make three of the same dress in quick succession. The advantage to doing it this way is that I became so comfortable with the pattern that I only glanced at the instructions now and then to reassure myself that I hadn't forgotten something. Although I toyed with the idea of making a Spencer (jacket) for one of them, it would have required giving one of the dresses small cap sleeves. Otherwise there's no way a jacket would go over the pattern's big puff sleeves.
The temptation to dress more dolls as characters from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is great. The question is where to draw the line. After all, there are five Bennett girls, (I would omit Mr. and Mrs. Bennett), Mr. Bingley, (I can omit his two sisters), Mr. Darcy, (minus his sister Georgina), and the devious Mr. Wickham. But should I include the simpering Mr. Collins and Elizabeth's friend Charlotte? What about Mr. Darcy's imperious aunt?
The trouble with Austen's minor characters is that they are so deftly drawn that it's hard to say no to any of them. I am also seriously hampered by a lack of male dolls in slim MSD size, so casting the major male characters requires that I buy more dolls. (If you read back through my older posts, you'll see a number of possibly suitable male dolls. The trouble is none of them live here anymore.) At the moment, the only in-scale male I have on order is an elf with a head two sizes smaller than the MiniFee heads. Frankly, I don't see him as any of these characters. So for the time being, it looks like I'll stick to the girls.

10 comments:

  1. Have you thought about buying a male from the Wilde Imagination line? I think a Penn would look good with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Penn comes in resin, does he? I wouldn't want him in vinyl. But thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dresses!! And you have a very fitting background too, perfect for any Jane Austen novel really.

    I'd love to see Mr. Darcy in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm holding out for a Raccoon Doll as Mr. Darcy. The first male doll is projected to appear this summer.

      The 3 room sections are Caroline's Parlor from American Girl. And you're right--it's a perfect setting for a Jane Austen novel.

      Delete
  3. They all look great!! I love this regency outfits you did, they are amazing and so neatly sewn!
    Have you thought about Iplehouse JID boys? Owen and some of the newest sculpt can look more manly in this size. Plus, the model body is the "slimmer" (not so bulked up) body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I do have two JID boys on the model body: Edwin and Daniel. They work well with MiniFee but are shorter than the Raccoon girls. I want my Raccoon girls to represent the older Bennett sisters, so they need men who are taller than they are. Souldoll Vito is another possibility. I have one on order but it will be some time before I see him.

      And I still need period style wigs for everyone!

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with the regency dresses ^^ Your girls look very sweet and harmonious with them.
    You shoudl give the boys and other girls the chance to join the regency party.
    For boys, some people match up their tall mini girls with souldoll vito boys, if this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mayumi! I would love to make more dresses so I could include other dolls. I only wish I had some different patterns. I do have one for 15-inch fashion dolls. I might try enlarging it. Bonus is it includes a Spencer and a bonnet.
      I do have a Vito on order, so we'll see how he looks with the Raccoon girls when he arrives. He might do well as Mr. Darcy.

      Delete
  5. Very sweet regency dresses, I like the room box too, did you make that as well? The blue and white reminds me so much of Wedgwood Jasperware. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu! Wish I could take credit for the room, but it's a 3-piece set from American Girl called Caroline's Parlor. It comes with some accessories. All I did is stuff the shelves with more accessories. The Wedgwood blue was probably intentional. AG's normal color scheme runs to hot pink and aqua.

      Delete