Sunday, March 27, 2016

New Romantic Shushu

New Romantic is a Regency style pattern from Adams-Harris Pattern Company designed for Ellowyne Wilde. It's from the Spring 2009 Collection and I first made it that same year for U-noa Lusis, shown here on the right with Bimong's Narae and Limhwa's Limho Mano. (Of the three, Narae on the left is the only one still at home.)
I've been thinking about this pattern ever since I made a Regency gown for Raccoon Doll Mika. I pulled out the 2009 dress and put it on Narae. It fit but was shorter on her than I liked. Next I tried the gown on resin Ellowyne and was surprised to find that the decolletage dipped all the way down to her waist!  Did I modify the pattern for U-noa's large bust when I sewed it originally? If I did I don't remember. Maybe resin Ellowyne is narrower on top than her vinyl cousin. (I keep forgetting to measure them.) Whatever the reason, it was obviously time to make a new gown.

I pulled Sunshine by April Cornell for Moda, a cotton fabric that I had hoped to use for Mika's gown. The piece wasn't long enough for Mika, but I had plenty for a gown this size. I also pulled some white lace for trim, but then ended up using a combination of ribbon and a different white lace instead, along with ribbon flowers. The pattern envelope shows a matching shawl. I cut it out from a white batiste but didn't sew it together. What I would prefer is to crochet a lacy-looking shawl. I have some white crochet thread that I thought would work, but either it's too thin or I'm all thumbs or I need a different size crochet hook or all of the above. I'll head over to the yarn shop this week and see what else they have in stock.
So here is the finished gown, modeled by MiniFee Shushu. She looks so sweet in it that I plan to make coordinating gowns for my other MiniFees.
 
Here Shushu is joined by Mika in her Regency gown and U-noa Sist in the earlier New Romantic gown. The Moda fabric is a heavier weight than the fabric I used originally, which accounts for the different way it drapes. In honor of Easter, Mr. Bun Bun has joined them for picture taking.
And because Mr. Bun Bun got cut off at the bottom of the above photo, here he is on his own, wishing everyone a HAPPY EASTER!
(Mr. Bun Bun is a tree ornament that I purchased at Jo-Ann's just before Christmas.)




6 comments:

  1. Your girls look really good!! Love the dresses and the fabrics you used for them. I particularly love the skirt shape you had in there. Would you share your secrets with me please?

    You are very skilled when sewing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Musume! The secret to the skirt shape is the 3 pleats on either side of the center back. (You can see the 2 back sections under construction in the photo that shows the pattern envelope.) Also, I have Shushu's doll stand under the dress, which makes it look like the dress has a bustle. Normally the back wouldn't stick out quite so much.

      My only sewing secret is to sew small curves by hand. I have ruined too many pieces by trying to machine sew a small curved seam. Now I pin, baste, remove pins and hand sew.

      Delete
  2. Those gowns are just adorable. You just need Mr. Darcy to come visit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mr. Darcy will visit as soon as Raccoon Doll releases its first male doll. And if he's anything like the male dolls Raccoon sculpted for Iplehouse, I'll be getting Mr. Bingley, too.

      Delete
  3. I love regency dresses, you did an amazing job!
    I love the fabric choice as well and your girl looks great in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Today's post will feature the Regency gowns I made for the other two MiniFees.

      Delete