Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Anna Project, Part 3

I started this week by finishing Anna's vest--and finished the week by completing her skirt. In between I embroidered. A lot. 
I bought a small embroidery hoop but didn't use it. Given a choice between creating creases that might not iron out and working loose, I chose loose. Besides, the process was working well enough without a hoop. That's not to say my embroidery stitches were looking fine. Maybe someday I will understand how a stitch that looks good going in can look bad once it's finished. More than once--usually as I was taking out stitches that offended my sensibilities--I wished I had opted for applique. Or even fabric paint!
As I became more comfortable with my stitches I realized they looked better standing alone than outlined. I admit my decision to outline was a defense mechanism at first, my way of saying, Look, this is supposed to be a circle! By the time I produced a circle that looked like one, it was too late to undo the earlier outlining as it was usually connected to the element below it. The same goes for my leaf stitch. Much of the veining disappeared once I outlined it, not to mention that my leaves ended up rather fatter than they were intended. The one good thing I did was to start embroidering at the back of the skirt. I figured that by the time I reached the front my stitches would be passable. Ah, well. It is what it is.
All I have left to do are the cape and bonnet. There are mittens (the pattern calls them gloves) which I may or may not make. I haven't decided. They look easy enough and I have the fabric. I still need trims for the cape. After shopping both JoAnn fabric stores in the area I came home empty-handed. I need mini pompom fringe for the edge and a coordinating trim for the body of the cape. Simplicity includes pattern pieces for this trim but no directions for how to deal with it. Time will tell if I am desperate enough to go this route. I had hoped to find both fringe and trim in the same color but that may not happen, even shopping online, unless I go with black. There is an absolutely perfect burgundy gimp braid in my stash. The trouble is that there is not enough of it and JoAnn's no longer carries it. And of course I am now fixated on burgundy. This is one garment where the shopping will be harder than the sewing!





6 comments:

  1. JoAnn's used to carry little rolls of mini pom pom fringe and ribbon. Not sure if they still do, but I'm pretty sure it would be the right size, and you could dye it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw small rolls of mini pom pom at JoAnn's but they were hot pink. Not sure I want to mess with dye. The longer I look at this trim online the less I like it. I may leave it out entirely and just buy the gimp braid in the nearest color to burgundy/wine/maroon.

      Delete
  2. I think the outfit is looking great, and the embroidery is amazing! Sadly, I can't tell you about any store, but I do hope you find the perfect trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Musume! (I just remembered I haven't answered that challenge from a few weeks ago. Hope to get to it after the Frozen outfits are done.) I've decided to go for gimp and forget about pom poms. I don't really like pom poms in the first place. LOL

      Delete
  3. Hi. I have recently discovered your blog and I love it! I also like sewing for my dolls, but I am really slow at it, hehe.
    Anna's dress is looking amazing! You are doing an amazing job, she and Elsa will be great when both are finished and together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mayumi! I've been sewing for my dolls for a number of years but in some ways I still feel like an amateur, even though I've learned a lot in that time. Keep at it--it will go faster as you become more comfortable with it.

      Delete