Gratitude

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Gearing Up for a Delivery

Two new Raccoon girls will join the family tomorrow. At least, fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day. They are in transit, having left New York this morning. I don't have a lot of clothing in their size, so I have been sewing in anticipation.

Both girls have the new body style: slim as opposed to the original glamour body. The only real difference is a slightly wider waist (0.5cm larger) and narrower hips and thighs. This actually opens up the pattern possibilities. Many of the DeeAnna Denton patterns (Designs by Jude) are fitted through the waist and hips, which made converting them for Sarah's and Mika's pear-shaped bodies more work than I cared to do. The slim body's measurements are almost exactly the same as those given for DeeAnna. I bought two of the close fitting patterns in anticipation.

But first I had two other patterns I wanted to use. One of them was so unlikely that I never would have attempted it if I hadn't tried a finished garment on Sarah first. Gracefaerie's #14 Mini Wardrobe for 43cm Narae includes a Gothic Lolita dress designed for a doll whose 5.1 inch waist is the only measurement she holds in common with Raccoon girls. The original pattern was obviously designed with enough ease to accommodate a variety of mature minis. Why else would the bodice fit? The dress's full skirt has plenty of room for Raccoon's larger hips. It's one of those basic patterns I use over and over, in different fabrics and multiple variations. I haven't set the snaps on this one yet. I'm waiting until I can fit the dress exactly to the new body. As you can see below, I turned the dress into a sleeveless, more grown up style with little embellishment other than a few tiny gold beads (nearly invisible in the photo). I will add a ribbon belt when I dress the doll.
The second pattern is Dressing Up (Designs by Jude), a dress designed for Tonner's Hermione Granger doll. The hips are the main difference between Hermione and Raccoon, but because this dress has a full skirt the wider hipped Raccoon girl can wear it. I tried the dress on the glamour body and the dropped waist did not pose a problem, so as soon as the new girls arrive I can set the snaps.
I could have stopped there, because each girl would have an outfit all her own. On the other hand, I bought patterns especially for them. I needed to make at least one. I selected Lunch Date (Designs by Jude), a pair of wide legged pants fitted at the waist and hips, coupled with a short sleeve blouse.
But why stop there when I could turn it into a pants suit? Urban Beat (Designs by Jude) has a waist length jacket that should work perfectly with the pants. I started making it yesterday, so only the pants are done. I'll sew the blouse today so that the doll has something to model, then finish the jacket afterwards. I wish I could remember where I bought the fabric, because I want to get it in other colors. I think it's a stretch twill. Whatever it is, the finished pants have just enough stretch to allow them to go over the glamour body's hips, which means all my RaccoonDoll girls can wear them. You've got to love a fabric like that!
Below you see the pants, finished except for the snaps. I encountered only one problem with the directions: I had come to the end of them and still hadn't sewn the inseams. I'm not sure where in the sequence that step should go, but I did it at the end without having to undo anything else.


2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of awesome sewing!! The wide pants and jacket are my favorite.
    Also congrats on your girls! Hope they will arrive soon, I can't wait to see what you are going to do with them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the pants and jacket, too. The pants and blouse are done; now I'm working on the jacket.
      My girls did not arrive today. The tracking information has not changed since yesterday morning. Hoping for a delivery Tuesday!

      Delete