Gratitude

Sunday, September 13, 2015

New Eyes, a Corset, a Steampunk Outfit and a Prop

Don't you love it when items ordered months apart suddenly start arriving?  Eyes, outfits and props all appeared during the past week.  So did my long-awaited FairyLand FeePle60 boy, although he is spending the weekend at the Post Office, having reached there yesterday shortly after they closed.  He should come with Monday's mail delivery.  No photos until I do his makeup, which may need to wait a few days until the current weather system clears.

In May I joined a group order for DollBakery 12mm small-iris low-dome eyes organized by a member of Den of Angels.  This was to be a test of sorts, as DollBakery had never offered small-iris low-dome before.  Needless to say, a number of us jumped at the chance to buy the more realistically proportioned eyes. The idea for a group order originated in one of the Iplehouse large doll threads.  Unlike some companies' large dolls, which have childlike faces, Iple's large dolls resemble human adults.  Doll eyes sized to fit Iplehouse eye wells always look out of proportion in an adult face because of their large irises and pupils and high domes.  To counteract that childlike look, owners resort to using smaller diameter eyes, which often leave visible gaps in the corners.  The new eyes fill the eye wells (so no gaps) but maintain the adult proportion.  In the two photos below, nYID Oscar is shown first wearing 10mm high dome gray glass eyes and then wearing the 12mm DollBakery aqua urethane eyes.  You can see his increased maturity in the second photo.
I bought two pairs, so here is nYID Grace wearing 12mm small-iris low-dome urethane eyes in denim blue:
Grace previously wore 11mm soft silicone Eyeco eyes, so there is little difference in size or fit.  What is different is that the DollBakery eyes are hard rather than soft and so do not let the light pass through.  With the Eyecos the white of the eye sometimes has a pinkish cast from the color of the resin inside the head.

In between deliveries I drafted a corset pattern for Alida, my Dollmore Judith Suntan Maxima, whose voluptuous figure makes it hard to find clothing that fits.  If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I frequently whine about my inability to understand or draft patterns.  After some study and thought I asked myself, "How hard can it be?" 
I draped Alida in pieces of paper towel and proceeded to mark and cut them, then pinned them together.  I liked what I saw so I transferred the pieces to tracing paper, which became my pattern.  I made pintucks on a rectangular piece of fabric, sewed them by machine, then cut the front piece from it.  From here on everything was hand sewn, because my machine would have chewed up the small pieces. 
Surprisingly, everything went well and the resulting corset fits.  It's not perfect by any means.  I need to rethink how I handle the seams inside the cups and lining to minimize bulk, because this version looks lumpy.  But it's doable--and I may even have conquered my fear of drafting patterns!




Two outfits arrived last week.  One I have put aside for the arrival of the doll who will wear it, although I could try it on Alida as it should fit her too.  The other was a cross-my-fingers-hope-it-fits purchase for Pendaran, my Soom Super Gem Quartz.  It's the first time I've bought anything for him.  Usually I opt for my sewing machine and patterns for Unidoll guys, which are a pretty good fit.  Over the summer, however, I collected measurements both for the dolls I have and the various clothing options available.  It looked like clothing made for SD16/17 boys would fit, so I ordered DollHeart's Zain from their 2012 Steampunk collection. 
As you might have guessed, I love Steampunk.  DollHeart had several outfits to choose from in this size and I went back and forth, trying to decide.  What finally sold me on Zain were the awesome goggles.  They're like two watches side-by-side.  (They're certainly heavy enough to be two actual watches.)  The fact that none of the clothing pieces are black also made this outfit a win-win.
I lost one of Grace's Eyeco eyes when I changed to DollBakery, so I put the remaining Eyeco in Pendaran along with a Steampunk eye I've had for ages and never got around to using.  The gears in it would probably be more visible in a larger eye.

Despite the fact that this outfit was supposed to be a perfect fit, I had a lot of trouble buttoning the shirt and fastening the snaps on the vest.  Although I did eventually get everything closed, you can see the fabric straining across his chest in the above photo.  The fact that the buttonholes were very tight didn't help matters.  It shouldn't take half an hour to do up six buttons and four snaps.
The chain holding the cape was also difficult to fasten.  There is a small lobster claw clasp attached to the chain just above the feather pendant.  As far as I can tell, it hooks into the button shank--at least, that's where I hooked it.  I didn't time myself; all I know is that it took far too long to fasten than it should have.

The phone booth is one of the props that arrived last week.  It's plainly too short for Pendaran's use and rather too tall for Alida's, but it should be perfect for the FeePle60s.  I only wish it were a perfect replica of a British telephone box.  For one thing, it should say Telephone, not Phone Booth.  I think the crown design is a bit off, too.  It was reasonably priced, however, and is well made.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that the shelves come out (it's a storage/display case for CDs) because the description said they don't, which means that the F60s should be able to stand inside.  It's narrow, so one at a time, obviously.

Hopefully by next week I will have had time to do a faceup on my F60 Siean boy.  Yes, you read that right.  It's a Siean girl head sculpt on an F60 boy body.  Trying to make it look masculine should be interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment