Sunday, May 17, 2015

Meet Iplehouse JID Edwin

You can count me among the Iplehouse fans who were clamoring for a more mature looking JID boy.  After all, some of the JID girls look like small-sized women.  Why don't the boys match?  So what did I do?  I fell in love--hard--for possibly the youngest looking JID boy in a long time.  I think what did it is the vintage outfit shown in his promo shots.  There is something so perfectly old New York Irish newsboy about him in this get-up.  He is fresh-faced and cheeky, with a bit of the smirk that I find so endearing.  (Other dolls that have it are Claude and Oscar, both of whom I bought.)  It was a no-brainer.  The minute I saw him, I knew Edwin was coming home, as was the outfit.

He arrived in record time.  I put him on layaway at the end of March, paid him off at the end of April, and he shipped about a week after that.  No doubt about it, Iplehouse is spoiling me.  I now expect this kind of fast turnaround with every order.  I'm already checking the status of my KID Bambi order, and it's been only two weeks.  Wishful thinking is what that is.
Here is Edwin right out of the box.  Or, more accurately, still halfway in the box.  The makeup looks quite dark on Iple's normal skin, but once the doll is dressed and wigged it's less pronounced.  The 12mm brown acrylic eyes had to go.  I had already purchased 10mm glass eyes that I knew would better suit his small eye openings.  I also discovered, upon changing them, that the acrylic eyes were cracked.  This seems to happen regularly with the acrylic eyes Iplehouse uses.  Just for fun I went through my stash of acrylic eyes and found that most of them had cracks.
It's funny.  The new eyes looked green in the package.  Once I installed them they looked more blue, while in my photo they look more gray.  Doesn't matter.  I really like them.  The reddish brown wig is from LeekeWorld.  Edwin's promo photos show the outfit with a newsboy cap.  Hats sometimes come with the outfits they're paired with, but more often not, and in my haste I forgot to check and didn't order it.  I have since placed a clothing order, so his proper hat should be here within a week, along with some other stuff.  Meanwhile, he is borrowing the nYID hunting cap, which is a size too large for him.  I hope he'll give it back, because the longer he has it on, the better he likes it.
What's wrong with the above picture?  Just about everything.  Iplehouse clothing should come with reference photos so the buyer knows how to put things together.  Instead of going online I relied on my memory, which obviously decided to play tricks on me that day.  Aside from the wrong hat, there is a single knot in his tie.  It's supposed to be tied in a bow.  His shirt is tucked in; it's supposed to hang outside his pants.  His pants are on backwards!  Really.  These pants are supposed to fasten in the back.  (No wonder I had so much trouble with the buttons.)  Makes no sense to me; however, when they open in front he can't sit down in them.  Turn them around and all of a sudden he can sit.
This is how the outfit is supposed to look.  I ordered Edwin with the mobility thigh joints.  So far I'm not impressed by whatever increased poseability this is supposed to give him.  For instance, I would have loved for him to be able to lean forward and straddle the trunk.  Not happening. I also hoped he would be able to pose as if he were riding the bicycle shown below.
The first time we went out to try it, I was running out of useable light on the deck.  Not only that, but the wind was picking up.  Eventually it picked up both Edwin and the bicycle and tossed them to the floor of the deck.  Yikes!  He lost his headcap and his dignity, but nothing broke.  His outfit wasn't even soiled.  For the record, I wasn't able to pose him either seated or else throwing one leg over the seat as if he were hopping on.  I had to settle for a rather static shot.
We went out this morning to take advantage of the sunshine, the lilacs and the complete lack of wind.  My deck faces west and gets direct sunlight all afternoon, unrelieved by any kind of awning.  Even at 10:00 a.m., the sun was coming around and causing problems.  Despite that, I was able to get some nice head shots, thanks in part to the brim on Edwin's cap.

I am not going to rename this little guy.  In the first place, I rarely remember names I give my dolls.  In the second place, Edwin suits him just fine.





4 comments:

  1. I have so much to catch up on. You really have a gift. Have you thought about writing a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have thought about it. Blurb.com has a feature where you can turn your blog into a book. The thing is, I now have so many posts that we're probably looking at several books, even leaving out all the extra stuff on the page. Maybe I could do selected posts, especially as many of the dolls profiled here have moved on to other owners. I need to look into it some more.

      Delete
  2. Is it just me or is Edwin's nose (nostril part) slightly asymmetrical? I've been looking at the official Iplehouse pictures of him all day and saw that. I think it might be because he's doing his smirky face thing. It makes him super cute though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, you may be right. I hadn't noticed before. The difference is very slight.

      Delete