Sunday, August 17, 2014

Risky Business for Pendaran

I have a doll meet up next Saturday, so I decided to make a new outfit for Pendaran, my Soom Quartz Ice Dragon.  Adams-Harris patterns for Unidoll boys are a pretty good fit on the Super Gem body.  The clothes are a bit loose, but I prefer that to bursting at the seams.  Much easier to take in a seam than to let one out.

The Risky Business pattern makes three pieces:  jeans, a tee shirt, and a big shirt worn over the other two pieces.  I've made the tee and jeans before; this was my first time making the shirt.  The pattern envelope shows the shirt made from two contrasting fabrics.  I knew immediately that I would use Half Moon by Moda, which I happen to have in black-on-white and white-on-black.  Normally I don't like to use black fabric next to a doll's skin in case it stains the resin, but this fabric has the white woven through it, so that the wrong side of the fabric is gray instead of black.

It's a good thing I am on vacation this week, because after two days of working on the shirt, it still lacks buttons/snaps before I can call it finished.  I had to pin it on with straight pins in order to take photos.  I also want to make white jeans but haven't even started on them.  I don't know if I'll make him another tee.  He has a yellow one that should work under the shirt.

The Moda fabric sewed up beautifully, but is a bit stiff for a doll's shirt.  It will do for a shirt-jacket. I'm thinking of making one in gauze when I have the time.  It should drape a lot better.  Out of curiosity, I tried the shirt on an Iplehouse nYID boy.  It's a good fit across the shoulders, but the sleeves are long.  Pendaran has the same problem with sleeve length.  I also draped the shirt across an SID's shoulders; he's quite a bit broader in the chest than the nYID so I decided not to force it.  Maybe in a different with a little stretch.  That's a project for another day.


  1. Great shirt, with the contrasting details, the fabric print is beautiful!

    1. Thanks! This is one of the fabrics I bought a few years ago when I undertook a massive project outfitting every doll I owned in black and white. Believe it or not, I still have unused black and white prints left over. The thing with the calligraphy print is that I don't know if I got it right-side-up or upside-down.