Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Six Face-Ups of SID Soo

Six face-ups?  Really?

Yes, I counted them.  Her original face-up plus five of my own.  Here is her original face-up, which appears as makeup option C on the Iplehouse site.

Face-up #1: the Iplehouse face-up



I would not have chosen this face-up if ordering direct from the company, but I purchased the doll on ebay and so did not have a choice.  To tell the truth, she looked better in the seller's photos than she did in person.  The problem, aside from lacquer red lips, which I dislike, was the heavy-handed blushing in her face.  It made her look like she was suffering from a head cold.  All stuffed up.  Even now I look at this photo and I can feel a sneeze coming.

My first attempt at a new face-up involved removing as much of the blushing as possible without also removing her eye makeup and lip color.  It was meant to be more of a fix than a whole new face-up.

Face-up #2:  removal stage

As you can see, I lost some eyeliner from the upper lids.  I wanted to keep it, but I think it came off when I removed the eyelashes.  I also lost most of the lower lashes in trying to remove all the blush.


Face-up #2: with new blushing


Above you have the finished stage with new blush added.  At least the runny nose effect was gone, but I was still not enamored of the lips.  The red gash contrasted too much with the color of her skin.  The pale green acrylic eyes probably didn't help.  Combined with the heavy makeup, the effect was spooky.

Face-up #3:  first attempt at freckles

Soo's face-up #3 was not a bad look, but the lower lash lines came out too thick and sparse.  The red mouth was replaced by a more natural color that I prefer.  I added freckles, which immediately made me happy.  Her dark eyebrows were fine in combination with dark wigs, but more often than not I put her in light colored wigs.  I also exchanged her acrylic eyes for a pair of glass eyes.  It's amazing what a difference eyes can make.

Face-up #4

In face-up #4 I lightened Soo's eyebrows, filled out her lower eyelashes, and added lines on the lower lip.  I kept the freckles.  Not perfect, but closer to the look I was going for.  It photographed well as long as it wasn't blown up to fill the screen.  (That's a statue behind her, not one of my pet birds.)


Face-up #4
This is the same face-up.  I like the photo and don’t think I’ve shared it before.  It's my Halloween set up from November 2013.

Face-up #5


Face-up #5 dates from May 2014.  It was much lighter overall.  Thinner eyebrows, peach rather than pink on the lips, lower lashes less pronounced but still not looking natural.  Will I ever get them right?
Face-up #6

That face-up lasted all of one month.  Above is Soo's most recent incarnation.  I lowered her eyebrow placement (so she doesn’t look so surprised), increased the shadowing, and added eyeliner to the lower lids.  I still can’t get a thin enough line on the lower lashes, but in person you can’t tell.  Love the lip color.
Face-up #6
Here she is at the June 14, 2014 doll meetup. It's the same face-up with a different wig and in different lighting conditions.  Her lower eyeliner is a little jagged, mostly because a) I could really use a pair of magnifying glasses, b) it’s hard to control the watercolor pencil on a curved surface, c) my pencil could have been sharper, and d) I’m impatient and work too fast. 

All in all, I like this face-up and will keep it for a while.  Knowing me, however, I don’t think it’s her last face-up.  As I get better at doing these, I can’t resist the temptation to redo earlier face-ups.  The best part of this one is that she can stand next to a doll with an Iplehouse face-up and not look out of place.  For now she looks pretty much the way I wanted her to look, without the time and expense of sending her away for an artist face-up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment