Sunday, May 18, 2014

Model Delf: a New Mini Mature BJD from Luts

Admit it.  You were waiting for me to add another doll to my collection.  And so I did.  It's not as bad as all that, however, as I also sold a few.  Not excusing, just saying.

I've never bought a Luts doll before, even though I have bought a number of MiniFees.  For those who are unaware of the relationship, CP (Cerberus Project) formerly designed/sculpted for Luts.  He (or they--I'm not sure if this is one person or a group) broke away and founded FairyLand.  Because Luts owns the Delf name, CP's sculpts resurfaced as MiniFees and FeePle 60s.  I don't know all the ins and outs of the agreement/disagreement, but you can still see the old CP Delf sculpts on Luts, marked:  "Sold Out."
Model Delf Avalanche--I like this wig on him best

All this is by way of introduction to my first Luts doll, MDF Avalanche.  MDF stands for Model Delf.  This is a new size, taller and more mature than their Kid Delf and smaller than Delf, Senior Delf and Super Senior Delf.  MDF Avalanche, who stands 45 cm tall, is the mini version of SSD Avalanche, who measures 70.5 cm.  The body is available in several combinations: muscular or less-muscular one- or two-piece torso, with muscular or less-muscular legs.  I chose the less-muscular two-piece torso with less-muscular legs.  He's got muscles enough for me.  In my opinion, the muscular bodies looked off kilter given how youthful the faces are.
Butterfly Narae and Avalanche

There were four sculpts to choose from, all boys:  Abadon, Avalanche, Cian and Dion.  I am hoping beyond hope that Luts adds some females to the line, because the body-to-head proportion of these guys doesn't quite work with any female dolls I own.  Narae and U-noa Quluts girls probably come closest, but it's not a perfect match.  MiniFees have larger heads, making MDF look like pinheads, although putting a fuller, longer wig on MDF helps a lot.
Avalanche and U-noa Lusis

These guys are engineered to the max.  After an hour of putting Avalanche through a variety of moves, I conclude that the only thing he can't do is extend his legs straight behind him.  That means you won't see a Model Delf doing a split.  This seems an odd lapse in a doll that is otherwise more mobile than other dolls his size.  Of course, all the mobility in the world is worth nothing if the joints look clumsy.  Knees and elbows form my acid test of elegance.  Let me tell you, MDF knee and elbow joints are the best I've seen.  You don't see two sawed off pieces of resin connected by a resin peanut; you see a smooth arm or a smooth leg.  Sheer poetry!  Other doll makers take note:  this is how it should be done.
I couldn't get him to balance on one foot, although other owners have.
That said, I don't love the head.  Yes, the small size makes it look more human than doll-like.  That makes him awkward to display alongside other dolls.  I am also annoyed that Avalanche's on-site photos did not show the sculpt's serious overbite.  Get this guy to an orthodontist--quick!  The faceup is too dark for my taste.  With eyes that small and close together, gobs of dark brown eye makeup, coupled with brown lips, only make everything look smaller.  I guess I took it for granted that Luts, like Iplehouse, would adjust the colors of the faceup to suit the resin color.  I guessed wrong.
Strongman with Siean

Dealing with a new size, I wasn't sure if anything I already own would fit him, so I ordered clothing from Luts along with the doll.  All of the items are made by Nine Style and are very good quality.  I also ordered shoes--thank goodness, because his feet are small and narrow.  Nothing I have would have fit.  The wigs I ordered, on the other hand, will look better on my smaller dolls.  They are his size--6/7--but because he has a small head atop a long thin neck, the short styles serve to emphasize the smallness.
Strongman with chair. The shorts are from Tonner for Basil St. John.

I set Alastair (my name for Avalanche) a few tests of strength.  In one photo you can see him with MiniFee Siean atop his shoulders.  In the other photo you see him holding a wooden chair.  It's a lightweight wood, but it's still wood, and he is holding it above his head.  In neither photo is he leaning on anything, but standing rock solid in the middle of a placemat.  Is this guy good, or what?
Lovebirds

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to get a handle of Luts resin colours before placing an order. Am I correct in thinking that your Avalanche is in normal skin? Or is he in white skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is normal skin. Luts normal is lighter than FairyLand natural. I've had him now for almost 2 years and his color has paled to something closer to cream--richer than white but paler than normal.

      Delete