Gratitude

Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Rage for Minifees: Here's Number Two

Never let it be said that I do things halfway.  With my first Minifee still on order (due "very soon," according to Denver Doll Emporium ), I have lately acquired Minifee Number Three.  (I know it says Number Two in the title.  The real Number Two was the first to arrive, followed by Number Three, debuting here today, with Number One bringing up the rear.  Follow me?  If not, don't worry.)

Of all the Minifees, Shushu has long been my favorite.  So, when the opportunity arose to buy one on the Den of Angels Marketplace, and I saw that the doll was already in Vermont, I had to have her.  Luckily, I had recently sold a couple of dolls, so I had the money in my Paypal account.  Because I wasn't familiar with the seller, I assumed she lived in a different part of the state.  I should never assume.  It turns out she lives in my former home town, not far from the library where our doll group meets.  Small world!


Instead of mailing the doll, we arranged for a hand-over at Starbucks in the local Barnes and Noble.  Of course, neither of us knew what the other looked like, so it wasn't until after lunch that we connected.  By then I had about 15-20 minutes before I had to run back to the office.  It's hard to ooh and ahh over a new doll and also show off an older doll (she wanted to see Iplehouse EID Lahela) in that amount of time.  I felt rushed, when what I really wanted to do was kick back and talk dolls.  Ah, well, maybe another time.


This Shushu has an artist faceup, so she looks a little different from the Shushu on Fairyland's site.  I love how she looks.  I did change her eyes and wig.  Her original eyes were a little larger than I like.  I replaced them with flat-backed oval glass eyes (not sure of the brand, but I believe I bought them from Kemper).   The wig, on the other hand, was very tight.  It did eventually stay on her head, but the smaller size made the bangs too short.  One of my U-noa girls happily snatched it off Shushu's head and claimed it for her own.  I found a LeekeWorld wig that works well with Shushu's blonde eyelashes.  The style is a bit whimsical, consisting of Princess Leia side buns, each with a giant corkscrew tail sprouting from the middle.


Although the seller included an outfit (striped jeans and a top), I wanted to make Shushu a dress.  I used the #20 Lilac Afternoon for MSD pattern from Gracefaerie.  This pattern includes bodice pieces for several sizes of MSD, one being the vinyl Goodreau doll.  I had already made it for U-noa Chibi Lilin. Shushu tried it on, it fit, so I cut it out again for both Shushu and the Juri Elf.  What with one thing and another, I finished only one of the dresses this weekend.  Shushu is wearing it in these photos, while Juri is wearing an outfit based on a pattern for Ellowyn Wilde by MHD Designs.  (The actual pattern is too form-fitting through the midsection to fit a Minifee, so I made a slightly-gathered skirt to provide more room.)


Juri Elf is still undecided as to her name, although she is leaning towards Calandra, which means lark.  Shushu, however, has revealed to me that she is to be called Mallory.  I wasn't even thinking about names for her.  If memory serves me correctly, I was making my bed and passed by her place on top of the bureau.  Mallory popped into my head as if from nowhere.  I looked it up in a name book and didn't like what I saw.  It means ill-fated.  I asked her:  Are you sure you want to be called Mallory?  It's not a good name.  I ran a few other names past her.  No dice.  It's Mallory or nothing.  Yes, ma'am.  Mallory it is.


Have I mentioned that I absolutely love this girl?  I absolutely do.

4 comments:

  1. She is lovely! I'm so happy for you. It's ironic that they seem to be arriving in almost reverse order. It'll be a great day when they are all there and you can photograph them all together. The dress you made is adorable! Her wig is cute. It gives her a very light disposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're right...Shushu is lovely! You should bring some of your furniture to a meetup for adding posing opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll bring the chair in the above photos. The other pieces are either too big or too heavy and awkward to carry.

      Delete
  3. That is unreal that she lives so close to you. What a bummer that you couldn't talk more. Mallory is cute but I do like Sidonie the best. BTW, you do a great job with names. If I had kids, I'd have to ask you to help name them.

    ReplyDelete