Sunday, February 10, 2013

Doll Club Saturday

The Chittenden County Doll Club met yesterday at the Brownell Library, where we got the surprise of our lives.  Five people showed up!  This is a first, as we are usually lucky if we can get three people together.  It was even more surprising given the previous day's snowstorm.  I have a long drive to Essex and wasn't sure I would make it, but in the end the only snow-covered roads were the ones closest to home.  For the last few miles I followed a car whose driver hadn't bothered to clear the snow off his car, only the windshield.  I kept waiting for him to hit a bump or a pothole, or have to slam on the breaks, any of which would have brought all the snow on his roof down over his windshield.  Dangerous idiot!  Only thing I could do was keep my distance.

But never mind that, let's get on to the dolls.

Goldi brought one doll I had seen before (a Fairyland Minifee Chloe) along with three new ones:  a Soom Ace Wind Elf, who is waiting for warmer weather to get her faceup; a Luts Cerberus Project Tiny Delf Dorothy (the name alone is bigger than the doll!) and a Fairyland Pukifee Pongpong, who is also awaiting faceup.

Chloe in her new kimono.

Ace -- Wind Elf, before faceup.  I hope we get to see her blushed
to look like a fox.  You can't see the entire outfit here, but she wears
a short kimono jacket over hakama pants.  (Hope I spelled that right.)
Dorothy in front and Pongpong behind her.  I think this is
the first time I have seen a Pongpong girl.  Usually s/he's
pictured as a boy.
Lyrajean brought three familiar faces:  her Iplehouse EID Asa, her little Volks YoSD Kira (who came with a little red wagon and a sled) and her Alchemic Laboratory Unoa Sist.  Asa and Sist wore matching kimonos and obi sashes and carried matching fans -- so cute!

Asa has borrowed Quartz's wig for this photo.  She looks good in silver.

Kira lazing in her red radio flyer.  She let Goldi's little ones
borrow her sled.

Megan brought one doll, a bjd she sculpted herself!  Now there's talent.  Years ago, I made a few cloth dolls with polymer clay faces, hands and feet.  Not one for half-measures, Megan used Sculpey for the entire doll.  I'll tell you, my first effort was badly sculpted and out of proportion, whereas Megan produced one cool little dude, completely jointed!  Judge for yourself.  Here's Xavier.

Xavier wearing Steampunk goggles on his head.  Megan
sculpted those, too, as well as making his clothes.
Modern Wizard brought her three Soom Faery Legend dolls so we could see how they look next to my big Soom guy.  Her Mellifer, a Metato--Keeper of the Heart, sported a new mohair wig in living technicolor.  Ginevra, an Aenigma--Spider Sprite, and Flower, a Kremer--Sprite of Slumber, rounded out the trio.

Way cool!  The wig looks like flames.

I brought only two dolls this time:  my newest big girl, Iplehouse SID Mari, and my Soom Quartz Ice Dragon.  I should probably stop referring to him as an ice Dragon, as I have finally listed his dragon parts for sale on Den of Angels.  Once they're gone, all he'll have in the way of fantasy parts are his ears.  They don't come off, so he'll always look a bit like Spock.

Poor Quartz, I didn't finish the jeans I was sewing for him.
Fortunately, Soom included jeans as a gift when I purchased
him, so he didn't have to wear dress pants with the new tee
shirt I made.
Kiri, my SID Elemental Guardian Mari, shows off a brown wig
from Iplehouse that I bought for one of the boys.  It looks
good on her.  Her resin is peach gold, but either the room's
 lighting or my Photoshop program paled it down.  (Makes
me wish I had bought her in normal resin.)

Quartz and Kremer posed side-by-side so all could appreciate the resemblance.  I wouldn't be surprised if both came from the hand of the same sculptor.  They have a similar look and features.


The room we use for our meet-ups features changing art displays.  This month's was especially colorful, so I took a group shot of the dolls that also included some of the animal portraits looking down from the wall.

All present but Ginevra and Xavier.

And because I love birds:

A Hyacinth Macaw




1 comment:

  1. Great photos! I am so excited about your doll club. It's growing!!!

    ReplyDelete