Sunday, June 17, 2012

New U-noa Face-ups

Every once in a while I haul out my stash of U-noa faceplates and see who needs a re-do.  It turns out they all do, because I'm never satisfied with my work.  Part of the problem is that they look perfectly fine until I take a photo.  As soon as I see the face blown up on my computer, I'm appalled at all the imperfections I see.  Because I can't see the details as I'm working, I tend to make the same mistakes over and over.  I do have a lamp with a magnifying glass attached.  I wish it weren't so hard to use.  I look through the glass at the faceplate, which is easier to see than with the naked eye, and then I see a huge hand holding an outsized brush and I simply cannot make that brush touch the faceplate.

Sist Bully Face on left, Sist Default Face on right, both with old face-ups.

I still have three U-noa faceplates without face-ups:  Lusis and Sist sleep faces and an L-Bi sleep face modded to have open eyes.  I could have worked on those.  Instead, I pulled out two Chibi faceplates, one B-El and one L-Bi (the two boys), and two Sist faceplates.

Chibi Roron pouting face on left, Chibi Lilin serious face on right.

I decided that the Chibi Lilin faceplate needs only new eyelashes (one side is longer than the other) and left that one alone.  I was also going to skip the boys--in the end I opted to enhance one of the faceplates without first wiping it clean.  I think he is B-El.  The faceplate lacks the identifying code on the inside, while the other faceplate is branded L-DF for L-Bi Default Face.  Without the codes I can't remember which boy is which.  One is the male version of Lusis (open mouth) and the othe is the male version of Sist (closed mouth).

That left me with a Chibi Roron pouting face, a Sist default face, and a Sist bully face. 

After cleaning:  Sist Bully, Roron pout, Sist Default.
A U-noa characteristic:  the eyebrows are sculpted on.  Some
face-up artists sand them down.  I prefer to leave them on.

Removing the old face-ups took forever.  I used to have a bottle of pure acetone.  It worked on contact.  The bottle I have now (because I couldn't find any pure) is diluted with water.  It makes a big difference in the amount of time it takes to remove the old makeup.  I scrubbed with cotton balls, I scrubbed with Q-Tips, I scraped with toothpicks.  Most, but not all of it, came off.  What didn't come off would be covered by the same colors, so a little residue didn't matter.

New face-ups:  Chibi Roron on left, Sist Default on right.
I didn't like the pink eyelids on the old faceups.

I did get an unpleasant surprise this time.  After washing the faceplates with soap and water, I could see a bloom left behind on two of them, presumably by the acetone.  I didn't photograph it, but it looked like a thin layer of talcum powder that was stuck to the faceplates.  A little of it came off when I scraped it with a fingernail.  I decided to try using a superfine sanding sponge, which I wet first so that I wouldn't release what might be resin powder into the air.  It worked.  Another wash and dry, then outside for spraying with MSC.

Sist Bully face on left, B-El on right.  B-El got just a touch-up.

I spent most of the afternoon on those faceplates.  As I worked, I realized:  I have a Style.  No matter how hard I try to vary the face-ups, in the end they look pretty much the same as before I redid them.  Now I wouldn't mind if this were a wonderful style, but it's pretty humdrum.  Would they look any better if I used an airbrush?  I like to think they would, but I suspect they wouldn't.  For better or for worse, they would still be in my style.  Or maybe I just need more practice...

Sist Default Face with eyes, but no eyelashes. 
The old eyelashes are unusable--I need to order more.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. It looks like a lot of hard work! You are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Winston & Newton brush cleaner to remove faceups. I have a jar i soak them in for a couple minutes and then use a magic eraser with the cleaner and then wash them off as well. I was too afraid of using the wrong acetone.

    ReplyDelete