Sunday, April 22, 2012

Packing Up Resin Corner

Note:  That's packing UP, not packing IN.  Resin Corner is moving, not ending.  After four years of living in a condo, BallJointed Woman has had it and is moving to an honest-to-goodness house.  We're not going far, maybe fifteen miles or so up the road.  A little bit closer to Canada, but still in the U.S.  I must be feeling the tug of the umbilical cord, because each of my moves brings me closer to the place of my birth.  I doubt I'll cross the border, however, as my command of French is in the toilet.  (For those of you using a translation program, for whom the previous sentence makes little or no sense, it means that I no longer have quite the same command of the language as I once had.)

Usually a display of dolls, now a staging area for doll stands and boxes.

Needless to say, I have done no sewing lately.  There are projects cut out and ready for the sewing machine.  They will have to wait a little longer.  My models have all taken refuge in their boxes.  Even though I have professional movers coming to pack my belongings, I didn't think they would take quite the same care of my dolls as I would.  The boxes with the cut-out foam and inserts would probably drive them mad.  Besides which, packing and moving is sweaty work.  I don't want dirty fingerprints all over my resin, thank you very much.  Nor do I want to overhear dirty jokes at the expense of my anatomically correct boys and girls.

Big Iple House boxes.  These are much larger than the doll boxes
they contain, so I am filling in the extra spaces with small dolls
and bubblewrap.  Lots and lots of bubblewrap.

I'm glad I kept most of my original shipping cartons.  They will provide added protection in transit.  Nevertheless, I will need to supervise the loading of boxes in the truck to make sure the dolls don't end up under heavy boxes of books.  Some of the boxes may be big, but the contents are still fragile.  I considered transporting the dolls myself, but there are too many of them.  Nor do I want them spending the day in the car while I close first on the condo and later on the house.  If the weather turns sultry, a locked car will not be the best place for them.  And let's not even mention potential thieves!

More big Iple House boxes.

I wish I had sold a few more dolls before moving.  It would have meant fewer boxes to move.  There is still time for a sale.  The only question is, can I locate the box with the right doll in it at a moment's notice?  I think I know where everybody is.  Well, almost everybody...  Perhaps I'd better shift the for-sale dolls to a different part of the condo.  Pardon me while I go move some boxes...

Some of these shipping cartons are empty.  What would I do if
I didn't have a basement for storage?  (Does this photo remind
anyone of the final scene of the first Indiana Jones movie?)

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I have just discovered your blog. You have so many beautiful BJDs! I love FairyLand and Iplehouse and I see you must too! I really love the smaller ones best, but wow, your larger dolls are really beautiful.

    Good luck with your move. I hope to visit you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Bama. I've seen your comments on bearpicnic's blog. Glad to have you aboard -- feel free to drop in anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of packing. I can't wait to see what your new place looks like! Congratulations and best wishes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just think of all of the great new photos you can take in your new place. Congratulations. I hope everything goes well this week.

    ReplyDelete