Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Dress That No One Can Wear

What do you do when the dress you labored over all weekend doesn't fit the intended doll?  That is the question.  Never mind that it took me almost three weekends to cut out all the pattern pieces:  dress, dress lining, coat, coat lining, hat, hat lining, purse, purse lining.  The bodice of the dress and the bodice of the coat are each made up of a million little pieces of fabric.  (I exaggerate, but you get the idea.)  Very. Labor. Intensive.

I always wondered how one of these balloon skirts comes together.
It's easy:  the lining is shorter and narrower than the skirt itself.
You gather the skirt top and bottom to fit the lining.

The pattern is Petit Nuage, by MHD Designs.  This version is for Kaye Wiggs 18-inch girls such as Layla (my Brooke).  I was hoping that it would also fit Kay Wiggs' Nelly, who is taller but is similarly sized on top.  I figured the fullness of the skirt would accommodate her wider hips.  Well, I figured wrong.  If correctly made, I'm pretty sure the dress would fit both Brooke and Nelly.  The problem is the lower bodice.  It is made up of seven panels--not a problem if one sews the seams no wider than the recommended quarter inch.  Unfortunately, I may start out sewing one-quarter inch seams, but they soon morph into three-eighths inch seams.  In no time at all the bodice is narrower than it was intended to be.

It doesn't fit anyone.  Maybe I'll frame it.

Not a problem, I thought after trying it on Brooke.  The Iplehouse JID girls are similarly sized.  Maybe it will fit them.  Nope.  I resumed sewing, reasoning that the finished dress was bound to fit Soulkid Linn.  Not a chance.  Her butt was too big.  Narae?  Well, it fit over her butt, but the bodice was too big.  There was no point trying it on U-noa Lusis, because her shoulders are too narrow.  The bodice would simply fall off.

I ran out of time before sewing the coat, hat and purse.  Far from being discouraged, I figure if I can sew the coat to size, I can make another dress to go with it.  And I'll keep the dress that no one can wear as a constant reminder to Keep. My. Seams. Narrow.

Humphrey Rolls Shirt, by Iplehouse.  I wonder why
they didn't use smaller buttons?  These are out of scale
for a shirt.
And now, because this blog post is shorter than my usual entry, I will share with you Jamie's (Iplehouse SID Claude's) new shirt, which thankfully I did not sew.  It's called a Humphrey Rolls Shirt--presumably because the shirt sleeves can be rolled up.  I'm confused by the presence of the button on the upper sleeve.  Is it decorative, or is it supposed to hold up the rolled sleeve?  I'll have to look on the Iplehouse site to see how they handled it.  The button placket and the inside collar are lined with a Burberry plaid.  It's a nice touch, if only you could see it.  I left his top button undone, hoping the lining would show a little.  What I really wanted to do was put Jamie in the black tee shirt with the Humphrey shirt left unbuttoned over it.  When I didn't find it, I realized Grant (YID Mars) is wearing it.  Tsk, boys!

You can barely see the peek-a-boo lining.
Sepia wig by Iplehouse.

Next week I hope to blog about YID Harin, who is spending Sunday at the Post Office until I can ransom her tomorrow or Tuesday.  I have no "attempted delivery" slip, but the USPS.com website shows she arrived at and left Burlington on Saturday afternoon.  They'd better not tell me that they attempted delivery yesterday, because I stayed home most of the day waiting and the carrier never came.

Iplehouse has released photos of their reimagined and redesigned YID girl body.  I think I like her, but I hope they will make her available with a smaller bust.  As it stands now, she is built like a Playboy bunny.  It's a bit too much physique for a young teen.

1 comment:

  1. The dress is beautiful! I'm sorry it doesn't fit. I would try to make it again; it'll be worth it when it fits the doll you want it to. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete