Gratitude

Monday, January 2, 2012

First Outfit of the New Year

One of my friends had a brilliant idea for a Christmas present for me:  patterns!  She doesn't sew or collect dolls, so in order not to confuse her with too many choices, I directed her to MHD Designs (http://dolloutfits.com), suggested she look at patterns for Kaye Wiggs 18 inch girls and told her which ones I already had.  Better yet, she was just in time for Magalie's buy-3-get-1-free sale.  The result?  I'm as happy as a pig in a mud puddle.  And Brooke has a new outfit in which to start the New Year.


The outfit is called L'Ecoliere (i.e., The Schoolgirl) and consists of a pleated skirt, a blouse, a hat, a vest, and a choice of long or short jacket.  I didn't attempt a jacket this time, but made the other pieces plus a pair of socks from MHD Designs Petit Riens (Little Nothings) pattern. 


Because most MHD Designs garments are fully lined, I chose my fabrics carefully so that the finished pieces would not be too bulky.  The skirt, which looks like wool, is a lightweight homespun.  I can't for the life of me remember what the vest fabric is--it was a small scrap left over from a long-ago project--but I figured it would be less bulky than velvet or faux suede.  I didn't read the pattern directions through before starting, or I would have noticed that the blouse, too, was intended to be lined.  Unfortunately, that was not going to happen considering the stiff cotton I had already cut out.  The shirt was already threatening to stand up by itself!  I quickly drafted a pattern for front and neck facings and soldiered on.  Next time I use the blouse pattern, I will definitely look for a lighter weight cotton.

The skirt is pleated in front and gathered in back.
The vest has a half-belt in back.

Faced with the prospect of sewing a set of tiny fabric loops for the button closure, I came up with a viable alternative.  I purchased a length of soutache trim.  It worked like a charm.  Wish I had thought of that while making Soah's vest to accompany Le Pantalon.  I think I'll stock up on soutache in a variety of colors for future loop closures.


This pattern should work for my Iplehouse JID girls.  For fun I tried the blouse on small-busted Asa, and the only alteration it will need is for the sleeve cuffs to be narrower.  Kaye Wiggs girls have wider hands than JIDs.  The hat will need to be redrafted.  Brooke (Layla) has a huge head compared to my other MSD's--even compared to some of the larger dolls.


Brook reminds me less of a schoolgirl and more of a Scottish dancer in this plaid.  It seems an appropriate outfit in which to bid the old year, "Auld Lang Syne".

*Brooke's wig is Kye from Jpopdolls.  The color is Summerset.  Red Gothic Ballerina shoes are from Monique Trading.

1 comment:

  1. That is the perfect gift idea for you. Well, after a new doll. :-) I love the outfit.

    ReplyDelete