It started when I picked up a cute pattern from Raw Kiss called Flower Girl: a sleeveless dress, overskirt, shrug, stockings and hat. The ensemble was shown on a Planetdoll, so I figured it would be perfect for Emma, who has not had anything new since she arrived. I went through my stash and assembled my fabrics. I cut out and started to sew. Immediately I had a question that the instructions did not address: What size is the seam allowance? It looked like a quarter inch. I did not entirely trust my measurements because I purchased the pattern as a PDF, and I always have trouble printing PDFs to the proper scale.
I crossed my fingers and forged ahead. The pattern did not call for lining the bodice but I lined it anyway. Anytime I am dealing with a collarless, sleeveless dress or top, I get better results if I line the garment. So far so good. I assembeld the dress skirt. Ten inches wide seemed awfully narrow. I wish I had made it a little wider. When I put it together with the finished bodice, there was almost no need to gather the skirt, because it was about the same width as the bodice. Something not right somewhere. I removed my basting stitches and put the skirt aside.
Next I did something I should have done sooner: I tried the bodice on Emma. It seemed a bit large. I needn't have skimped on my seam allowances after all. Out of curiosity, because Iplehouse Girls are wider across the back and shoulders than my other MSDs, I tried the bodice on Asa. Very nice! It could have used darts in front, but as I had already lined the bodice I decided to gather the bottom edge instead.
The skirt was easy. I used fabric left over from a kimono I made for Elfdoll Hazy. As the Flower Girl dress skirt barely went over Asa's hips, I cut out a skirt 15 inches wide, plus a little extra for seams. Then, to dress it up a little, I cut a ruffle twice that width. Finally, for embellishment, I tied two pieces of ribbon into a half-bow reminiscent of the bow on a Korean hanbok. A new Iplehouse wig (new to Asa, seeing as Tania has already worn it), her brown boots, and Asa has a brand new look. She also has new Eyeco eyes. I found the very pale blue to be a little spooky and opted for a blue-gray instead. They make her look less intense.
Now that I know she needs a little less bodice and a little more skirt, I will remake the dress for Planetdoll Emma. But she will have to wait until I have finished a Yo-SD dress that I am hoping will fit Erzulie. If it doesn't, there's always Bambicrony Toto, or Little Fees Ante and Lishe, all of whom are clamoring for new clothes. It never ends!