Sunday, November 13, 2011

LittleFee Ante's New Coat

I was going to title this "My One-Hundreth Post" except that it isn't really.  A while back I deleted some Foto Fridays, so technically speaking, post number 100 happened at least 5 or 6 posts ago.

Ante's new coat makes her look like a snow baby, so I thought I'd get into the spirit of things and let her encounter a creature normally associated with Christmas: a reindeer.  I'm telling you it's a reindeer in case you don't recognize it, because it is constructed from the same stuff used to make artificial Christmas trees.  And no, I didn't make it.  It came from the local Michael's, an arts and crafts chain store.  Or was it Jo-Ann Fabrics?  Either way, it was an end of season bargain a couple of years ago.

"Look what followed me home!  Can we keep him?"
Ante's coat is made from the Kitty, Kitty pattern by Adams-Harris Patterns.  I don't remember what the fabric is called.  On the outside it looks like fleece, while inside it looks like a sweater knit.  I think the ears on the coat are supposed to stand up; as I understand it, a cat with laid back ears is not a happy cat.  What can I say?  I had trouble putting it together.   My life would be so much simpler if patterns came marked center front and center back.  When faced with a pattern piece that looks like a lopsided teacup, I have a hard time knowing which end is up, much less which is the center back seam that I am supposed to stitch.  Yes, I did it wrong.  Took out the stitches and pinned it together a different way to see if that would work.  Eventually I got it right.  A simple CB for center back would have saved me a lot of time.

"Hold still.  I want to get on."

Other than that, the coat was easy to make and worked up quickly.  I didn't have buttons the same pale orange as the trim and couldn't decide which other color to use, so in the end I used four different colors.  It gives an otherwise plain white coat a little interest.  I was tempted to put the coat on Little Lishe, because her normal skin would have provided a bit of contrast, instead of putting it on the white-skinned Ante, but Lishe didn't want to change out of her pumpkin suit.  Can't say that I blame her.  It looks very comfy.


"Giddy-up!"

Yesterday I picked up a remnant of pale green fleece at Jo-Ann Fabrics.  I'm thinking of making a jacket for Little Shiwoo using the same pattern.  Of course I'll omit the ruffle; maybe I will also reduce some of the coat's fullness.  I think he'll like the ears, so we'll keep those.  This time I think I will line the ears in a different fabric.  Who knows, maybe this time I will get them to stand up.



"That was fun!"



2 comments:

  1. Ante's coat is adorable! Even if the ears don't stick up, I think it turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I really need a new coat. Do you think you could make me one? ;-)

    ReplyDelete