Sunday, August 7, 2011

Work in Progress: Hazy's Joie de Vie

I promised Hazy her very own Joie de Vie outfit.  I always try to make good on promises -- it's just that they don't always happen as quickly as I've planned.

Joie de Vie takes a long time to cut out.  There are so many pattern pieces!  I tried to take a group photo of all the pieces, only to realize when I started putting the outfit together that several pattern pieces were hiding underneath the pants pieces.  So, the pattern contains all the pieces you see in the photo -- and then some.

With the exception of the completed ruffles (left), you are looking
at the underside (i.e., wrong side) of the fabric pieces.

As I mentioned last week, it's an easy pattern to sew despite all the pieces.  And making it a second time went faster because I knew what to do without relying so heavily on the illustrations.  Even though I didn't finish it, Hazy consented to model the parts that were done.  Without the long skirt on the coat dress, it is possible to see the harem pants.  When the outfit is completed, all you can see of the pants is the cuffs. 

Making the ruffles.  Not bad for a one-handed photo!
I really could have used a seond person to take the shot while
I guided the fabric.

If the fabric looks familiar, it's because I had enough of the peach floral left from Soah's outfit to utilize it in Hazy's outfit, too.  I wanted to line the coat dress in the leftover blue floral, but there wasn't enough of it.  I'll save that for a smaller doll.  The principal fabric in this version is black with blue peacocks, and I am lining it in a gray-and-black print that I last used to make a two-piece dress for Sooah.  The print doesn't show in any of these photos.  You should catch a glimpse of it lining the coat dress when the outfit is finished.


 
The coat dress will mostly cover the harem pants.
 

I am using the same bead buttons I used on Soah's outfit.  With the lesson of the first outfit fresh in my mind, I was able to avoid some of the pitfalls I encountered in matching bead size to button-loop size.  This time around I made my loops a bit narrower.  They both look better and work better with the beads, but were they ever hard to turn!  For a while there, it looked like I would have to start over and resize them.  I also made the loops shorter, and I am sewing the beads so that they stand up a bit more from the fabric.  It seems to be working.  The buttons on the pants cuffs don't appear to be popping out of the loops like Soah's do.



It's funny, the little things you don't notice when taking a photo.
I really must straighten the bows on Hazy's shoes!

As I was trying the upper bodice and sleeves on Hazy, I was reminded that Magalie Dawson drafted this pattern on a Sooah with fist hands.  It was all I could do to get the sleeve over Hazy's open hand without breaking a finger.  It slipped off easily enough, but I will have to switch Hazy's open hand for her other fist before we try the coat on again.  This is an easier proposition with Soah, whose hands are attached with magnets.  Hazy's hands are attached with metal hooks.  If I were making this outfit for a doll without a second pair of hands, I would have to remove the hands altogether in order to dress her.


Still to be sewn are the lower bodice sections, the coat skirt, and the headdress.  The headdress has long ties that must be turned.  I must also sew the ruffles onto the sleeves.  If you enlarge the photos, you may be able to see that the ruffles are merely pinned on.  I then have 12 more bead-buttons to attach.  I always face a new week with the best intentions.  I will spend some time each night working on the outfit and have it done by Saturday.  Dream on.  If I know me (and I do) I will spend each night in front of the computer screen, and scramble on Saturday to finish Hazy's outfit.  Sorry, Hazy.

1 comment:

  1. That is quite an outfit that Hazy has on. Where is she going all dressed up?

    ReplyDelete