I can show you only half of this week's project, because I have not finished it. When done, it will be a skirt and corset top for U-noa large bust girls. Due to technical difficulties, however, I made much slower progress than anticipated.
|Problem pockets resulted when I could not see the lining pieces.|
They are the same color as the table in the above photos and
were not addressed in the text or the pattern pieces.
The jeans skirt pattern by Mio comes from the BJD Orbyrarium. I have been meaning to try this pattern for years. What stopped me then is what gave me problems today. The pattern is presented without built-in seam allowance. It sounds like a small thing and it is, but when you are accustomed to having that seam allowance already factored into the pattern, the lack of it becomes a resounding: "Uh-oh! What do I do now?"
The photos show the seamstress tracing the pattern onto the back of the fabric with tailor's chalk. Not a problem -- I have tailor's chalk. What I didn't realize was what a thick line the chalk would make. I have a feeling the skirt came out larger than it should have.
For the most part the photos were easy to follow. Except for the front pockets. I could not for the life of me figure out how to put them together. Finally, in desperation, I went to my closet and pulled out a pair of denim shorts. Its pockets were applied to the front so I did the same with the skirt pockets. By the time I finished, I pretty much understood how I should have done it as shown in the photos.
|Pieces cut out for the skirt (left) and the corset top (upper right)|
as well as puff sleeves (right).
I ended up with unused pattern pieces. Because of the way I made the front pockets, the side pockets seemed extraneous, so I omitted them. I was still left with two extra waist pieces and a smaller piece that I guessed should have been sewn into belt loops. These were not addressed in the instructions. I treated the belt loops as optional. I have no idea where the extra waist pieces were supposed to go. The waistband fit without them.
As the skirt is designed to be very short, I added a ruffle in the same floral print that will form the front panel of the corset top. Right now it looks a bit Carmen Miranda. The top will either make it appear more so or else pull the outfit together.
If I should attempt another skirt using this pattern, I think I will redraft the pattern to include a 1/4 inch seam allowance. I just feel more comfortable working that way. I have a great little gadget for the purpose. It looks like a small coin with a pinhole in the center. You put your pencil point in the center hole and trace around the pattern. The wheel keeps the pencil the same distance away as it goes around. The trick will be in keeping the pencil point sharp enough to do the job.
Here is the completed skirt. Later in the week I will try to show the completed outfit.
|Finished skirt on U-noa Lusis. All I have left are the sleeves and|
the corset top. The corset is fully lined. Depending on how much
extra fabric I have at the back of the corset, I will close it with either
snaps or eyelets and a ribbon.