Saturday, April 23, 2011

Emma's Loss is Asa's Gain

I was going to entitle this "Le Malheur d'Un Fait le Bonheur de l'Autre" except (a) my spelling stinks and (b) only a few people surfing my site would stop and read.  It means One Person's Loss is Another's Gain.  More particularly, it means that I set out to make an outfit for Planetdoll Emma and turned it into a dress for Iplehouse Asa instead.

It started when I picked up a cute pattern from Raw Kiss called Flower Girl:  a sleeveless dress, overskirt, shrug, stockings and hat.  The ensemble was shown on a Planetdoll, so I figured it would be perfect for Emma, who has not had anything new since she arrived.  I went through my stash and assembled my fabrics.  I cut out and started to sew.  Immediately I had a question that the instructions did not address:  What size is the seam allowance?  It looked like a quarter inch.  I did not entirely trust my measurements because I purchased the pattern as a PDF, and I always have trouble printing PDFs to the proper scale. 




I crossed my fingers and forged ahead.  The pattern did not call for lining the bodice but I lined it anyway.  Anytime I am dealing with a collarless, sleeveless dress or top, I get better results if I line the garment.  So far so good.  I assembeld the dress skirt.  Ten inches wide seemed awfully narrow.  I wish I had made it a little wider.  When I put it together with the finished bodice, there was almost no need to gather the skirt, because it was about the same width as the bodice.  Something not right somewhere.  I removed my basting stitches and put the skirt aside.

Next I did something I should have done sooner:  I tried the bodice on Emma.  It seemed a bit large.  I needn't have skimped on my seam allowances after all.  Out of curiosity, because Iplehouse Girls are wider across the back and shoulders than my other MSDs, I tried the bodice on Asa.  Very nice!  It could have used darts in front, but as I had already lined the bodice I decided to gather the bottom edge instead.



The skirt was easy.  I used fabric left over from a kimono I made for Elfdoll Hazy.  As the Flower Girl dress skirt barely went over Asa's hips, I cut out a skirt 15 inches wide, plus a little extra for seams.  Then, to dress it up a little, I cut a ruffle twice that width.  Finally, for embellishment, I tied two pieces of ribbon into a half-bow reminiscent of the bow on a Korean hanbok.  A new Iplehouse wig (new to Asa, seeing as Tania has already worn it), her brown boots, and Asa has a brand new look.  She also has new Eyeco eyes.  I found the very pale blue to be a little spooky and opted for a blue-gray instead.  They make her look less intense.


Now that I know she needs a little less bodice and a little more skirt, I will remake the dress for Planetdoll Emma.  But she will have to wait until I have finished a Yo-SD dress that I am hoping will fit Erzulie.  If it doesn't, there's always Bambicrony Toto, or Little Fees Ante and Lishe, all of whom are clamoring for new clothes.  It never ends!

2 comments:

  1. Her skin is beautiful. I would LOVE to have skin like that! I can't wait to hear how long it took to get those boots on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For you and for anyone else wondering how I got the boots on her -- they have zippers up the back. No need even to undo the laces. For the record, it does require both the zippers and the laces to remove the boots.

    ReplyDelete