|On the left is the original bodice with the back panel removed.|
On the right are the old sleeves (above) and the new sleeves (below).
It would have been better to remake the bodice, but I had only a small piece of the yellow trim left, just enough for the sleeves. I was reluctant to remove the trim from the original bodice for fear of shredding it. I tried the bodice on U-noa Lilin, an ironic choice as she is smaller than MSD. For starters, she didn't need the back panel, so I removed it. The bodice was still too long, so I shortened it from the shoulders. It still needs shortening, because when the bodice is put on over the skirts it rides up. Add a doll stand underneath the dress and the effect is magnified.
|The new underskirt in green; the original front panel in yellow print.|
(Blogger has inexplicably turned my photo on its side.)
This time I used a softer lace sold by the yard. It also comes pre-gathered, in three layers sandwiched together and held in place by a trip of tulle. I started buying lace this way when I needed colors that I couldn't find on their own. The middle layer of each sandwich is a color (pink, blue, lavender, etc.) between two layers of white or ecru. I take the layers apart, use the color where I want it and save the white or ecru for use in other projects. (Taking the lace apart requires a little patience and a seam ripper. Once you find the right thread, all you have to do is pull and it all separates. The trick is finding that thread.)
The fit is not perfect. I still want to remake the bodice. But Lilin didn't mind showing off the dress as a work-in-progress. She is wearing a Mini Shirley wig from Kemper, and for a hat she wears a silk flower trimmed with a piece of lace.