Saturday, January 8, 2011

EMS Tracking, Part 2

Ball Jointed Woman is not happy.  Oasis Doll Natalie is most likely at my local Post Office this very minute, but I can't get my hands on her.  The fault is not with EMS but with the US Postal Service, or more precisely, with my area delivery center.

I learned some time ago that international packages are delivered to a separate postal facility in another town.  From there they go their separate ways to their intended destinations.  My local Post Office gets a package only when a delivery attempt fails.  Can you guess where this is going?

The EMS tracking site shows me that my package left the facility at 10:12 this morning.  A delivery attempt supposedly was made at 10:28.  Ironically, I left the house at 10:24 to shop for groceries in the very town where the postal facility is located.  I did not pass the delivery vehicle along the way.  (I would have recognized it.  It's a white sedan with a US government license plate.)

What usually happens if I am not home to accept a delivery is that the carrier fills out an "attempted delivery" form and either tapes it to my front door or else takes it to my local Post Office with the package.  My regular carrier then delivers the form with my mail. 

I suspect that the special carrier went directly to my local Post Office.  This suspicion is based on the thin layer of snow that covered my front walk when I left the house.  When I returned later, there were no footprints in the snow and no notice on the door.  This is not the first time this has happened.  There have been so-called "attempted deliveries" when I was home.  One of the women in the local Post Office says it has happened to her, too.  A fine example of our tax dollars at work!

At 3:00 p.m. I tried my mailbox.  Nothing there.  If they don't leave the slip until Monday, it will be Tuesday before I can pick up my doll, because the Post Office is closed by the time I get home from work.  I have half a mind to stop in Monday on my way to work.  I don't have the official notice in hand, but they know me.  They will probably have the undelivered notice there for me to sign.

You are probably wondering why I didn't go straight to the Post Office and pick up the package today.  It's simple.  The local office closes to walk-in traffic at 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays.  (I learned this at 11:05 one Saturday morning.)  I got home from shopping shortly after noon.

And to think -- it took only one day to get from Korea to New York...

2 comments:

  1. You know how I feel about the USPS. Grrr...

    I'm so glad that you were able to pick her up today and I look forward to seeing some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm with Julie when it comes to USPS!
    But I admire your detection skills, Ball-Jointed Woman! Maybe you should be the sleuth in my next book? ;0) Uh... let's wait til the first one is finished. Hope you got my last email.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete