Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Uni-que Kind of Guy


 
He's the biggest doll in my line-up, a whole 67 centimeters worth (26.37 inches) and a real heavyweight, so much so that I constantly fear he will topple over despite the doll stand around his waist.  Next time I order stands I need to order him the next size up.  Just to be on the safe side.  Either that or find him a nice big chair.

He is, of course, a Unidoll.  Anthony, to be exact.  Normally I don't go for these dolls.  Not only are they big, but they look disturbingly human.  Most of the guys look like they have survived a fight or two, taking away a broken nose as a souvenir.  Anthony's publicity photos had a slightly softer look.  I thought maybe this one could work.


Another reason I bought him was the fact that clothing patterns were readily available.  The maker of Adams-Harris patterns owns a Unidoll Jace and had already drafted a couple of patterns for him.  Patterns are a big consideration for me when buying a doll.  If I can't dress him, he will languish in his box unloved and undisplayed. 

That said, Adams-Harris patterns drive me crazy.  Don't get me wrong, I love the finished product.  The clothes fit beautifully.  I invariably make mistakes when putting them together, however, mistakes I would not make if the instructions were more carefully edited before a pattern is put on sale.  Each pattern I have purchased has had issues:  pattern markings are mentioned in the instructions but do not appear on the pattern pieces, or the instructions leave out steps, or tell me to put WST (wrong sides together) when my gut is screaming at me to do it the other way around (i.e., RST, right sides together).  Too bad my gut only screams at me after I have already spent 15 fruitless minutes trying to do it as instructed.

Take the waistcoat in the above photo, for example.  It has darts in both front and back pieces, in both the fashion fabric and the lining, yet nowhere do the instructions address these darts.  Thank goodness I have done enough sewing to know that you always sew your darts first.  Then there is the question of the waistcoat pocket flaps.  The instructions say to sew two on the left.  Whose left?  Mine or the doll's?  The envelope illustration shows them on the doll's left; they are printed on the pattern piece that would be the doll's right side.  I'm confused.  And when I am confused, my seam ripper sees a lot of action. 

I am in the process of making the above outfit again in a different fabric.  This time I am placing the pockets on the other side.  I figure this way I have my bases covered.  I just wish the pattern maker would remember that people who buy her patterns are not professional seamstresses.  If we were, we would not need to buy other people's patterns--we would simply make our own.  Just once, I would like to sew an outfit without having to go to my closet to compare what I am reading to an article of real clothing.

Adams-Harris has two new patterns for Unidoll boys, both based on Sherlock Holmes (complete with deerstalker hat).  I expect I will buy them, despite the fact that I will no doubt tear out a few more gray hairs trying to make sense of it all.


For a minute there I forgot that this post was about Anthony.  This photo shows him with Elfdoll Sooah, who is wearing platform shoes or else she would look shorter next to him.  It also shows how much more realistically he is sculpted.  Her proportions are doll-like, whereas his are closer to human proportions.  It makes them look a little strange together.  I am currently displaying him next to Hazy, whose proportions are more harmonious with his.  Once I finish his new outfit and a corresponding one for her, I will photograph them for the blog.

One thing more to note about Unidoll Anthony:  his box was labeled Raurencio Studio.  I don't know what the relationship is between Unidoll and Raurencio, other than both being Korean, but the latter manufactures a line of fabulous 67 cm. male dolls.  The guys tend to have wide mouths--think Mick Jagger with less sausage-like lips.  They are currently introducing their first lady doll.  At 62 cm. she is a bit smaller than the guys.  In my opinion she is prettier than the Unidoll girls, but I am not in love with her sculpt, or maybe it's just the face-up.  It will be interesting to see what Raurencio does with future females.
I am still trying to figure out in my own mind if the dolls are an excuse for sewing, or if the sewing is an excuse for collecting dolls.  Perhaps it's a little of both.

Next time, Ball Jointed Woman has her first close encounter of the eBay kind, as Resin Corner welcomes its first Unoas to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment